My Preliminary Livestock Thoughts

EricBrian

Ok, checking with others, I am going to post it here too. :)

My tank has been cycling for 1 1/2 weeks now and I've started to think about what I want to add to my 12g reef tank when the right time has come.

Corals

Neon Green Toadstool (Sarcophyton)

Green Bubble Coral (Physogyra sp.)

Tree/Stick Polyps (Acrozoanthus sp.)

Chili Coral (Alcyonium sp.)

Inverts

2 Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)

Christmas Tree Worm (Spirobranchus sp.)

Feather Duster (Sabellastarte sp.)

Red Brittle Star (Ophiothrix sp.)

Please leave a post here if they saw some of these for sale somewhere. :)

Thanks a ton.

Toadstools and bubble corals are a good choice. I don't know much about stick polyps.

Chili corals don't do well in captivity. Bourneman has them on his "do not buy" list.

Some starfish will eat smll fish, if they can catch them. I don't know about red starfish in particular.

Christmas tree worms usually come on a rock of porites coral, an encrusting SPS. You'll need relatively good lighting for the coral to maintain it's health.

I like peppermint shrimp a lot, and I've had great experience with them keeping aiptasia in check. You'll enjoy watching them in a nano, and they'll probably spawn regularly. From what I've seen from others' postings, they can't deal with a tank already infested with aiptasia though. One thing I don't like about peppermints though is they are agressive feeders, and may pick food out of corals' mouths to get at it themselves.

Jon

Great info. :) Thanks.

Who is Bourneman?

I looked up the red brittle starfish and couldn't anything about it going after fish.

I am not sure I understand what you said about the Christmas tree worm.

Again, thank you! :)

Oh, you have any thoughts on which kind of snails I should get?

Eric Borneman can be found here: http://www.marinedepot.com/FORUMS/Forum9-1.aspx

Christmas tree worms live commensally with porites, an "SPS" coral. I believe they live off the bacteria the zoanthellae produce. If the coral dies, then the community of worms die as they no longer have a food source. I don't have porites, but to generalize (inre to it being SPS), it probably needs better water quality, more light, more flow than the sarco and bubble.

Garrett.

Yeah, what Garrett said :)

When it's time to start adding a coral or two, you'll do well to get small specimens, or even "frags" from other reefers. If you put a big coral in a little tank, you're going to run out of room before you know it. (Heck, people with big tanks have the same problem, it just takes a couple thousand dollars more to get there.) Corals like the bubble (and many others) will extend their stinging tentacles out a few inches around itself and sting the bejeesus out of anything nearby, so they take up more real estate than you'd think.

Jon

Who is Bourneman?

Sounds like it's time to invite Eric back for a talk.... Eric Borneman is a very good friend of the club, he is currently finishing his PhD on corals, somewhat based on corals in captivity.

I can say how strongly I second Jon's suggestion of getting frags from members for your system. I'll start by offering a very generous sized Neon Green Sinulara frag for you!

Happy reefing!

Glenn R

Just adding my own experience with a 12g nano and live rock and peppermint shrimp. My liverock had some aptasia, but not boatloads. The peppermint made quick work of the aptasia already present. And then his personality came out. Whenever I approached the tank he would come right out into the front to beg for food. When it came to feeding time, it would float upside down, grab hold of my fingers and pry the food from between them. Now you get the idea of what is meant by "aggressive feeder"! I had no corals in my 12g nano. You could be assured that with that peppermint shrimp in the tank, no food was going to go uneater, ever.