got ich

kysmith

An ich outbreak happened last night. I'm going to put my 3 fish (maroon, royal gramma, and a pygmy angel) in a 5 gallon bucket tonight and dose copper to get them on the road to recovery. Does anyone that lives reasonably close to Ballston have a 10 or 15 gallon tank that I can borrow for a week? I was wanting to transfer them to a bigger tank for the week so they have a bit more room. I can buy a tank at petsmart for cheap but it's just a waste of money bc I don't have room to store it after I'm done treating them so I would have to throw it out (I live in a 700 sq. ft. apartment).

Thanks,

Kyle

Edited by kysmith

My recommendation: Talk to Davelin and see what size tanks he is looking for for his classrooms at Floris. Buy that size tank, run it as a q-tank, then donate it to Floris Elementary and write off the cost on your taxes. :D

My recommendation: Talk to Davelin and see what size tanks he is looking for for his classrooms at Floris. Buy that size tank, run it as a q-tank, then donate it to Floris Elementary and write off the cost on your taxes. :D

Tis better to give :D

Guest alex wlazlak

dont use copper. ive read that it screws up the fish and like they dont eat reguraly or somthing like that. use a product called Kick-Ick. its copper free and safe for inverts, fish and corals. i used it before and it works wonders. nothing died and the ich was gone.

dont use copper. ive read that it screws up the fish and like they dont eat reguraly or somthing like that. use a product called Kick-Ick. its copper free and safe for inverts, fish and corals. i used it before and it works wonders. nothing died and the ich was gone.

I used both before. Copper you can use only in QT as far as it toxic for inverts and corals. Good idea to monitor level of copper ( you need a kit) This is usually a best treatment, Kick - Ich does not work very well on heavy cases. Also I used it ones and made my leather coral very sick.

Another thing which is good is to add freshly pressed garlic into fish food. Ich does not like garlic. But it will not work in bad cases.

You could buy a smaller rubbermaid tub and use it as a hospital tank. I use a bunch of 4 gal tubs for fish breeding, rotifers, etc.

You could also just use the 5g bucket, or maybe use two different ones if your fish are too large. I'd be concerned about contamination if you treat the fish with copper, though.

Hyposalinity is an outstanding treatment for ick. There's a write-up at http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-j...posalinity.html

Lower the salinity to 12-14ppt or 1.010 over a 72 hr period, and keep it there for 4-6 weeks. I treat my new fish for ick before adding to my display tank whether they show symptoms or not.

Good luck,

Jon