base rock in DC area

Guest bigfruits

Guest bigfruits

Hello everyone.

Im a 29 yr old male from vienna va. lived in the area for most of my life.

Im just getting started back into reefing from a 3 yr break. had to move around alot in that time. so im going to start up a new tank.

i wanted to ask you guys if you knew of a store in the area that sells base rock at decent prices. im going to purchase a 180 gallon and filling it completely with live rock will be very expensive.

thanks in advance

-z

You are right of course... filling a 180 with liverock at >$5/lb. can add up quick. I am not too sure about local spots, but there is hirocks.com and reeferrocks.com. Hirocks is better in price, but they have questionable CS and the rocks you get may or may not be to your liking. I did a group order some time ago from Hirocks you can probably dig up if you search. Reeferrocks is my choice between the two for base rock.

http://www.fantasybowls.com/coral_rock.html

this seems like a decent deal. $1.50 a lb. anyone have any experience with these guys?

What is shipping? I could not find shipping info.

Hello everyone.

Im a 29 yr old male from vienna va. lived in the area for most of my life.

Im just getting started back into reefing from a 3 yr break. had to move around alot in that time. so im going to start up a new tank.

i wanted to ask you guys if you knew of a store in the area that sells base rock at decent prices. im going to purchase a 180 gallon and filling it completely with live rock will be very expensive.

thanks in advance

-z

Oh, and welcome to WAMAS!

Guest bigfruits

just talked to them over the phone, they said shipping for 50lbs was $20.00. i asked how much 75lbs was and he said $40.00. he didnt know why the shipping doubled with a %50 increase in weight.

so 50 lbs would come out to $95 shipped.... it might be worth the extra money to order from reefer rocks because they show you a picture of what youre getting.

thanks for the welcome

-z

Edited by bigfruits

Hirocks is better in price, but they have questionable CS

Ouch - sorry to hear that. I did two orders w/o an issue, guess I got lucky (but I agree ReeferRocks is better stuff from what I've seen).

Ouch - sorry to hear that. I did two orders w/o an issue, guess I got lucky (but I agree ReeferRocks is better stuff from what I've seen).

I have cured florida base rock for $3.95 / lb 100+ lbs 2.95/lb

John