simple tank ideas

Keraxis

Pretty bored at work right now... Its my last day and I have absolutly nothing to do.  So I wanted some input.  I want to build my daughter (5 year old) a smallish 29 gallon or less zoa garden with an anomone hosted by 1 disigner clown fish and possibly a blenny or some type.  2 requirments.  I want to do it in an affordable fasion (nothing to fancy) and it has to be able to use a lid/netting of some type (she is 5 after all and it will go in her bedroom)  I know issac will have some ideas here. 

Why not do a bio cube? Easiest to aio IMO. As for cheap, good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not do a bio cube? Easiest to aio IMO. As for cheap, good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cheap is relative.  I was thinking $250 to $400

I'm thinking that a 5-year-old is not going to care even a little bit about zoanthids. (I have a 6-year-old boy; so I have some experience.)

She's going to find fish more interesting. I'd go for a pair of clowns and the biggest host anemone the tank, lighting, and your desired feeding schedule will comfortably accommodate.

Maybe add a few shrimp and/or crabs to round out the setup.

Focus on inhabitants that will perform identifiable behaviors rather than things that will just look pretty.

I suspect it's more a tank for dad, cough. Dad likes zoas. Cough. And designer clownfish. Cough.

That's good advice! I think it would be more fun!

I'm thinking that a 5-year-old is not going to care even a little bit about zoanthids. (I have a 6-year-old boy; so I have some experience.)

She's going to find fish more interesting. I'd go for a pair of clowns and the biggest host anemone the tank, lighting, and your desired feeding schedule will comfortably accommodate.

Maybe add a few shrimp and/or crabs to round out the setup.

Focus on inhabitants that will perform identifiable behaviors rather than things that will just look pretty.

+1 tried this already, it was just another tank for me to maintain, that noone in the house cared about or even noticed when something died

I suspect it's more a tank for dad, cough. Dad likes zoas. Cough. And designer clownfish. Cough.

lol yeah, my kids have never asked me for a midnight clownfish or a picasso.

I feel like a broken record, because I make the same recommendations all the time, I would go with a 40B lol, although  biocube's are super easy, you really dont have to think about them I would say a 29 Biocube would be my 2nd option

I feel like a broken record, because I make the same recommendations all the time, I would go with a 40B lol, although  biocube's are super easy, you really dont have to think about them I would say a 29 Biocube would be my 2nd option

Have a 40b as my main tank right now.  (all i could fit in my rental)  i will be moving at the end of this year as long as i can find a place to buy.  We are checking out places in gainsville.  

Not really a fan of designers myself but she seems to really like them at the LFS.  I would like to keep zoas because my main tank doesn't grow them very well (sps seems to like that tank)  

Zoas are easy to care for and grow rapidly (most of the time)  They also look like flowers to a 5 year old girl.  Moon lighting would become her night light on the tank. I also want to add some sexy shrimp because I really like them.  I also suspect that this could end up being another tank for dad.... thats ok with me

(edited)

My daughter was a bit older than yours when I got my main tank (at the behest of herself and my wife); however, I'd suggest the following as a few of her favorites:

- cleaner goby, esp. sharp-nosed (G. evilinae)

- yellow clown goby (G. okinawae)

- "scooter blenny" / ocellated dragonet - she named ours "puff" because of the puffs of sand coming out of his gills as he fed. Make sure to get one that accepts prepared foods, as the size setup you're describing likely won't sustain a large enough pod population, particularly when new

- skunk cleaner or fire shrimp 

- good-sized brittle/serpent star

- nassarius snails as part of CUC (she used to love watching them "erupt" from the sand bed at feeding time)

- pulsing xenia - while it may take some effort to keep under control, the constant self-generated movement never ceased to be entertaining

- frogspawn, hammer, duncan, or other "tentacled" LPS

You could probably maintain any/all of these together in tank the size you're contemplating. Good luck, and keep us posted! 

Edited by LCDRDATA