What is it?

Guest Ominojacu

Guest Ominojacu

We need a "what is it?" forum so that newbe's like myself can find out what these strange things are growing on their live rock. I have a couple of what looks like a slimey mass that has developed a spout or oriface of some kind. Any ideas?

We need a "what is it?" forum so that newbe's like myself can find out what these strange things are growing on their live rock. I have a couple of what looks like a slimey mass that has developed a spout or oriface of some kind. Any ideas?

Can you post a picture of it?

Karl

If you could post a picture it would help. A spout or orifice of somekind makes me think about some sort of sponge. But hard to say.

Guest alex wlazlak

it might be like a sea squrte, thats basicly another kind of sponge..

I recall surfing the web for similar information on UFOs (unidentifiable fishy objects). I think I recall wetwebmedia has a site with photos that show the most common UFOs. If anyone knows of this resource or similar please chime in.

I recall surfing the web for similar information on UFOs (unidentifiable fishy objects). I think I recall wetwebmedia has a site with photos that show the most common UFOs. If anyone knows of this resource or similar please chime in.

Saltwaterfish.com has a sticky topic for hitchiker identification. It is even nicely categorized:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163522

Guest Ominojacu

Thanks everyone, it looks like it is a sea squirt, maybe a type of Clavelina which are clear. I would post a picture but my tank is cycling and the sides have become covered in algae, I figure its best to leave the algae on the sides since it is competeing against the algae on the live rock. When My tank is cycled and cleaned up I will post some pics.