Powder Blue Tang

Joshwaggs

We cant expect to provide any fish that we keep, a natural, or even close to natural-like habitat, ever. Even our water quality, no matter how much we dose, or think we know about ocean chemistry, we will not match the exact parameters of the source where the fish was taken (short of collecting water from that spot and putting it in the tank.)

Not entirely accurate. There are a good number of fish which, on the reef, tend to stay in a particular spot. They've got their own cave or area that they defend. This can be duplicated in captivity. Tangs (espceially Acanthurus sp.) are roamers and grazers as previously stated. Many adapt very well to captivity if provided a large enough tank. IMO there are certain species like hippos and vlamingis that have no business being collected because there are very few systems able to support a fish that size. 

Just like nomadic humans; they roam for a reason: resources and/or climate/environment changes. If resources are available without moving, and the climate and environment are always the same, do you thin they would still roam?

Like I said, my Yellow Tang likes to stay on the side of the tank that he knows food is going to be (as do all of my fish). I only feed on one side, they have no reason to go anywhere else, unless it is for sleep. Which the Tang does go to the other side, under a rock to sleep.

Edited by Joshwaggs

Food is one reason, they roam like herds of cattle in search of food. These fish have very fast metabolisms which require a lot of oxygen. All of the swimming/roaming provides more water over their gills and delivers more oxygen to their bloodstream. I've got a friend who has a 1000g tank and I have seen fish acanthurus tangs (sohal, PBT)  in his large system,  where they don't have the 'need' to roam, constantly swim/roam from one end of the tank to the other. I've also seen acanthurus tangs park literally directly in front of a strong powerhead for considerable amounts of time. I can only surmise they're doing this for the same reason. 

2de24bd15c889fbfae77b18e3e79377c.jpg

After watching a YouTube video of a diver swimming after a feeding powder blue for a mile, I decided to join the tang police lol I'll see if I can find that video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew it was a matter of time when the tang Police got a hold of you.LOL. I would not get a powder blue unless you do have a large tank. it will only cause problems for you and the fish.

Edited by SkiCurtis

I was just looking at these at a LFS today. Such a good looking fish. I wish I could keep one. I know my tank is not big enough so bummer. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of setups they would end up in. Im sure the chances of them ending up in a nice big tank are slim...

I have a Powder Blue and never had any issues with him going on 2 years. He eats everything I put in. Frozen, flakes, pellets and sea weed.

As far as "getting ich"  - If you don't have ich, they won't get it. I did quarantine mine for 30 days just for general prudence but no issues in quarantine. I didn't treat him at all.

I have a Powder Blue and never had any issues with him going on 2 years. He eats everything I put in. Frozen, flakes, pellets and sea weed.

As far as "getting ich" - If you don't have ich, they won't get it. I did quarantine mine for 30 days just for general prudence but no issues in quarantine. I didn't treat him at all.

How big is your tank?

• 2 weeks later...