Powder Blue Tang

Joshwaggs

I want to get a Powder Blue Tang, but I have heard they are hard to take care of, because they get ich really easily. Does anyone have any experience with this fish? Are they more work than they are worth? The Blue Hippo is supposed to be a very sensitive fish, too; but a lot of people seem to do just fine with theirs.

The ich thing is true, but they are easy to keep as long as they are eating. Tony (Ridetheducati) Had one so fat, but he would not let me eat him :0

ridetheducati: I dont have a quarantine tank. Im trying to follow Paul B's style. That, and I dont have anywhere to put a quarantine tank.

DC reefer: are they known to be picky eaters?

gmerek2: I have a 65g, which I know isnt very big when it comes to Tangs, but I wouldn't keep him in there if he gets past a few inches. Should I just scrap the idea?

gmerek2: I have a 65g, which I know isnt very big when it comes to Tangs, but I wouldn't keep him in there if he gets past a few inches. Should I just scrap the idea?

I say yes, don't waste your time or money right now. I would be cautious with any tang in a short smaller tank like that.

but they are so pretty

Sure. The tang stage is an enticing one. There are plenty of awesome fish that are very colorful that will be perfect for your 65. Tangs swim miles a day in the ocean, so saying that a 3 or 4' box is worse than a 6' is silly, IMO, non the less, it will give you problems I believe. Put a lid on your tank and scope out some wrasse, that will keep you busy! Also, a lot of our vendors offer quarantine for you, educate yourself in the qt process, and maybe opt to pay a small premium to have it taken care of for you!

I looked into just about every kind of fish that is common. I cant find anything with the looks, personality, and lack of particular needs, like the tangs. There are a few that are plain mean, or have certain requirements, but for the most part they just need good water, and space.

For example: Wrasses need a 3 inch or more sand bed, and most are agressive toward other fish. That said, there are a few that I like and would have if it werent for the sand bed and agressiveness thing.

Another example: I made the mistake of getting a saddleback to pair with my ocellaris. While, for the most part, the saddleback leaves the ocellaris alone, he occaisonally (couple times a day) reestablishes his/her dominance by chasing and nipping the ocellaris. It pisses me off that he/she is mean all the time. So, I want to avoid that. Tangs can also be mean, but as long as you stay away from similar body shapes and color, they are fine.

The only other fish I can find that are as pretty, have the same personalities, and arent mean are dwarf angels; but then I have to wonder if Im buying something that is going to eat the coral.

I just want to make sure Im not settling.When I started my biocube I just wanted neat, colorful fish. since I didnt do my research, or ask more experienced people, I ended up with fish that didnt go together, didnt have a purpose, and a tank that wasnt as nice as it could have been. I want to avoid that this time.

For example: Wrasses need a 3 inch or more sand bed, and most are agressive toward other fish. That said, there are a few that I like and would have if it werent for the sand bed and agressiveness thing.

That's not entirely true. Only a small percentage of wrasses require a sandbed. Mostly Macropharyngodon sp. (leopards) and Haliocheres sp. Even these don't need a deep bed. An inch or so is plenty. There are a lot of wrasses such as fairy and flashers who don't require a sand bed at all.

Additionally there are quite a few gorgeous angelfishes that will do well in a smaller tank, are non aggressive and similar to the tangs. Members of the Genicanthus genus come to mind. Also, the cherub and flameback are a nice bright blue color and can do well in reef tanks. 

Edited by Wrench

That's not entirely true. Only a small percentage of wrasses require a sandbed. Mostly Macropharyngodon sp. (leopards) and Haliocheres sp. Even these don't need a deep bed. An inch or so is plenty. There are a lot of wrasses such as fairy and flashers who don't require a sand bed at all.

Additionally there are quite a few gorgeous angelfishes that will do well in a smaller tank, are non aggressive and similar to the tangs. Members of the Genicanthus genus come to mind. Also, the cherub and flameback are a nice bright blue color and can do well in reef tanks. 

are there any on this page that you would avoid?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1378&count=36&s=ts

I looked into just about every kind of fish that is common. I cant find anything with the looks, personality, and lack of particular needs, like the tangs. There are a few that are plain mean, or have certain requirements, but for the most part they just need good water, and space.

Below is a list of Wrasse rated for 10-70 gallon tanks, all that are reef safe. All should require a tight fitting lid, but you should have that with any fish, imo. I think every one of these fish below have just as much color, personality, and less needs than a powder blue tang. Tangs, in fact, are usually aggressive, poop machines, and come with a list of particular needs. Do your research, and don't throw all these fish in there, but Wrench is correct with the above statement.

Red Head Fairy Wrasse

Multicolored Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse

Exquisite Fairy Wrasse

Labout's Fairy Wrasse

Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse

Longfin Fairy Wrasse

Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse

Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse

Hooded Fairy Wrasse

Banded Possum Wrasse

Yellow-Fin Fairy Wrasse

Eightline Flasher Wrasse

Mystery Wrasse

This is the exact same page I got my references for above. Of course there is not a rule of thumb for every fish out there, but the majority of those listed do not require a sandbed.

I have several Powder Blues in various tanks. They usually get ick when introduced but if you keep them well fed with a varied diet, they get over it pretty well.

The big issue with them is that they are aggressive a-holes of the fish world. This is the main reason why I stay away from them but people love them for their powdery blue color.

I have one in my 220. I have purchased a few tangs on the distant past that didn't live more than a few days (naso, powder blue, powder brown). Before you buy one make sure you see it eat! Ask the seller to feed it so you can see for yourself. If it won't eat, don't buy it! The ones I have lost wouldn't eat when I got them home, and I had been too new at the hobby to know to ask to see them eat at the store. Other tangs that I have witnessed eating in the store have survived when I brought them home, in some cases even after developing ich. They are more likely to survive some ich if they are eating.

Also, check out my clown tang! I got him last summer. He's only about 2-1/2 inches long. Very finicky and hard to raise according to the interwebs.

bbc76391762853f64d5e183babe2c29f.jpg

All Acanthurus sp tangs are too big and swim too much for a 65 IMO. The clown tang gets even bigger than the powder blue. You can probably do a zebrasoma without issue. I'm not really a tang police guy but there are certain tangs that really do need a very large 4' or a 6'+ tank. Look at the centropyge angels and wrasses as noted. These should be pretty fun fish for you.

Yeah I should have mentioned that im not endorsing any tangs for the 65g, just that when you upgrade, make sure they eat. My 220 has rock towers in the center axis so there is free swiming all the way around the perimeter. Something to consider for any tank with tangs.

2de24bd15c889fbfae77b18e3e79377c.jpg

After watching a YouTube video of a diver swimming after a feeding powder blue for a mile, I decided to join the tang police lol I'll see if I can find that video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here they move from Boulder to Boulder (further than a 6 foot tank). I sometimes even question if tangs these size belong in the hobby period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the tang police stop traffic for a tang parade?

2786_tangparade_sm.jpg?resize=502%2C377

At least that's what we call these mobs of tangs, surgeons, and assorted hangers-on as they move down the reef.  

Honestly, though, I think it's a fallacy to expect anyone except the Atlanta Aquarium to provide anywhere near the space that the fishes make use of in the wild.  It is very important to consider what the fish need to for long-term health, but if we used their natural home ranges as our measure of required space, we would not even be able to keep zebra danios.  I do believe that a 4 foot tank is too small for an Acanthurus tang, and I underlined "long-term" because I believe you should stock based on the expected full size of the fishes, and not just purchase them on  the basis of what you want for the moment.

There are so many beautiful species that will fit in a smaller tank (Centropyge angels are a great example), why put a polar bear in a closet?

At most, you may be able to get away with a kole or bristletooth tang in a 65G, even if it's a juvenile. I'm far from the tang police as I've had a kole and yellow tang in my 40B, which has the same dimensions of a 65 but is a few inches shorter, for a month in anticipation of an upcoming upgrade that has been delayed until March. Even though I purchased the smallest, healthiest tangs I could find (and they were/are tiny at 2-3"), they're both cramped, especially the yellow tang. They school together, and it's obvious that they need more space to really stretch out, and these are babies. I can't even imagine how rough it would be for a powder blue or blue hippo. 

I sometimes questions whether tangs in general should be part of the hobby, especially as a new reefer. But then I'd have to question the morality of keeping fish in our water boxes, period, and who wants to do that? (certainly not me).

If you decide against everyone's advice and get a larger tang anyways, I strongly advise that you get the smallest possible individual and spend 5 minutes watching the tang swim around its enclosure as well as watching him/her eat. I purchased a kole from a reputable LFS that had been through a quarantine and treatment process and watched it eat in the store, but didn't watch it swim around the tank. It turned out that it could barely swim and only lasted about a day before dying. Expensive, sad mistake.

Either way, good luck and I hope you find a good match for your setup!

Thanks for the input. Im going to explore other fish. I didn't know the powder blue was so mean. Most places just group it with the other tangs, by saying they are aggressive toward a same species.

When it comes to the size of a fish compared to the size of a tank, my main concerns are water quality (because of poop), and knocking things over.

I know I come off as a bit of a butt-head by saying that, but I think it is worth saying. We cant expect to provide any fish that we keep, a natural, or even close to natural-like habitat, ever. Even our water quality, no matter how much we dose, or think we know about ocean chemistry, we will not match the exact parameters of the source where the fish was taken (short of collecting water from that spot and putting it in the tank.)

I have a yellow tang that was thriving in a 29 gallon biocube. That tang is now in the 65g, and he rarely explores the entire tank. A few months ago I was looking to trade him for a smaller tang. Now, I see that he is doing just fine. He is healthy and has a great personality. Im among those that believe: if we are going to start worrying about giving fish their natural space, then we need to stop the hobby. No one, not even national aquariums have the required space for most, if not all, of their livestock. To be honest, and this is my opinion (the whole post is), when I put a fish in my tank, it is most likely going to live a longer and healthier life than it would in the wild. The fish will have no worry of predators, will have plenty to eat, and it will have places to hide. In the wild it would be constantly foraging for food and worrying about predators, which is probably why the fish swim so far. If a tang, or any fish, knew it was safe and had plenty of food in a particular spot, would it still leave? I would think, no. It goes against the animals (same as ours) need to conserve energy. Just like how we have Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs; it makes sense that fish do, as well.  

Edited by Joshwaggs