Reef Flakes in! Neptune DOS in! Bio-Tek BTM3000 PAR sensor in!

Premium Aquatics

What's going on is this: Each harvest season, we're seeing less and less of the larger grain-size sands. They don't replenish as readily as finer grades, since the finer grades are light enough for transport by currents. Demand only increases each season, so collection never slows enough to allow for a full restoration of the collection site. At the rate things have declined with Grand Select and Reef Flakes, we're guessing that there are 5 years or less of supply left at the origin, unless something changes.

So, with that in mind, many of us have stocked up on a few bags for future builds. If you're planning a build using Grand Select or Reef Flakes, buy them now or face the prospect of waiting until NEXT February to see another order. We always try for a second order, but recently there just hasn't been enough supply for us to get one so this is likely the only batch we'll get.

We received only 1000 of the 4000 - 5000 bags that we ordered this season. So far, the average purchase is 3-4 bags per order, meaning only about 250 - 300 people are going to get their Reef Flakes this year... That's not a lot by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm waiting to see a black market emerge for Reef Flakes. As soon as I see the first posting with someone selling Reef Flakes at a "per pound" price on one of the Buy/Sell Forums, I'm going to have a laughing fit...

So are the smaller mini flakes and snow size easier to come by?  I used the mini in my build and have been very happy with the size.  I'd probably use it again in another build.

It would be fun in a way to see someone order 100 bags of it and sell them on the black market.

AlanM: When the sorting happens, larger flakes are removed for the larger varieties. Everything left falls into the 2 smallest sizes. The issue is, each time they sort it breaks down some of the larger grains. So do wind, rain, and general conditions as the sorted sands dry and await packaging. That's why smaller grains are so prevalent - they're always being generated via erosion and friction. It's very difficuly to capture a uniform grain size and package it for stability so that it reaches its destination at that specific sizing range.

khh27: I don't have the sheet in front of me, but I wanna say that the Reef Flakes have a nominal sizing range of 2-4mm, somewhat like Carib Sea #2 Special Grade but more uniform in color and appearance.  The mini flakes range generally from 1-2mm. (If anyone has confirmation of the real #s please post).

1-2mm for mini flakes seems pretty accurate. There were some smaller fines in there with mine, but there was no dust. Its small enough to go through my sea cucumbers without issues. 8)