Mysis different than misid?

gmerek2

Mysid and Mysis are terms which often get used interchangeably to describe the same organism, when in reality there are dozens of species under the order of "Mysida". If you are referring to Piscine Energetics Mysis shrimp they are a freshwater crustacean (particularly the species mysis relicta) harvested from a cold glacial lake in Canada. Most folks use the term Mysid to refer to the shrimp collected in saltwater environments verses the term mysis which has fallen into habit to refer to the FW species.

This video is pretty cool and explains more about the PE product: 

It is interesting to note that Piscine Energetics holds the only permit issued for collecting mysis shrimp at night when they are gut loaded with photo-plankton and also not subjected to 95+ degree daytime temps when brought to the surface. They also use a patented catch boat method which prevents the damaging of the exoskeleton and leaching out all the nutrients inside. 

We are national distributors for the entire line of PE products and my family is traveling to British Columbia this Summer to see the harvesting done up close to learn more.

I hope that helped answer any questions. 

Wow that's a quality ingredient and very interesting. My misid are much smaller and faster than the mysis so I knew something had to be up.