How to eel proof

MBVette

I want to add an eel to my fowlr, and wondering the best way to eel proof it so he doesn't escape.  For the eel Im thinking either a snowflake or zebra, not 100% sure. 

So Im thinking of just putting some egg crate on top of the tank.  Is that enough or can they still get out using egg crate?  Will I need to secure the egg crate down, or weigh it down so they don't just push the egg crate out of the way?  Any info will be greatly appreciated since this will be my first eel.

It all depends on the size of the eel.  If it's a larger eel, egg crate will be ok, however I would weigh it down.  Typically they won't try to push it out of the way, they'll just turn away when they touch it, but egg crate is light, and bigger eels can get leverage to push it out of the way.  Not worth the risk- so weigh it down. Your best bet is glass tops, but I understand that's not always possible.

The other thing you want to proof is the overflow- gutter guard from HD/Lowes works really well for that (as long as it's a larger eel).  

It cant get into the overflow, so Im not worried there.  Its a marineland 93g cube and has very small teeth going into it.  So as long as the top is covered I don't see how it could get into there.  Im really just worried about him jumping all the way out b/c my cat will kill that thing in a heartbeat if it hits the floor (it stalks my tank 24 hours a day, and has caught fish out of a different tank before)

The only problem I ever had with my snowflake was trying to jump out,lol so I had an acrylic sheet ontop with weights on the corners...

So I like the idea of the egg crate weighed down if its not super tiny :)

At the moment I don't have my tank that my snowflake is in with anything he is getting ready to go into my 220 with a canopy right now he is been in my 125 and has been the perfect citizen I think you would be fine with making a screen using industrial strength double sided Velcro send me a pm with your email and I will show you a video of him last night playing

Thanks

Edited by Cheshireboxers