Sel's 300 gallon total volume tank build

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are you using crushed coral?

+1  Detritus trap down the road. Will be fine for a year or two but then......  IMO

I like the crushed coral look, but it's all preference. Just have to clean your sand. I'm really enjoying bare bottom, that's easiest!

Every time I do a water change, about 10% once a month, 30 gallons or so, I always go way down deep in the crushed coral bed and suck out water from there. This all but eliminated detritus, nitrate build up, etc. Once the tank settles in, with this method, I hardly ever get any buildup of any sort and I had tanks set up for many years. Bare bottom IMO, although the maintenance is easier, just doesn't look natural to me. On the other hand, sand blows around way too much, and some fishes, wrasses, blenny, etc. require substrate to hide and build homes. I'm a fish guy first, Lps second, Sps last so I like the crushed coral look. Its actually a crush coral sand mixture. It's all about diligence and discipline. Regular tank maintenance eliminates all the negatives IMO. Like many of you, Saltwater aquariums is my only real vice so I don't mind putting the work in to keep it pristine. Thanks for the input from all.

Just opinion on my end, but I don't think I would put miracle mud in your sump, more of a detrius trap than anything else.

Np. I know some people love it and some people think it's a waste of time but i have had a great deal of success with it. I typically put it in the sump in 2 plastic containers and switch one out every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://vimeo.com/114124025
More live rock tomorrow. All my live rock is at my friends house so I move some everyday. The live rock I got from Marco over a year ago and I kept it clean in a trash can. No Algae, Aptaisia, pest or critters, smells extremely clean...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fellterrier