Soft Corals not doing so good

XxTech MoneyxX

I would use salifert kits if you cant read any nitrate or phosphate with api. If its that low salifert will show you a more percise lower reading.

If salifert shows no numbers and you have no algae or anything of that nature then it may be time to up feedings.

I've been told before to use Salifert kits for accuracy. I should use them for at least my nitrate and phosphates. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been told before to use Salifert kits for accuracyI should use them for at least my nitrate and phosphates. Thank you.

d2417f7647051d168b91574963053c20.jpg

Decided to post a picture of the skimate to show how well the coralife super skimmer is doing.

I'm cutting it off for the weekend for 48hrs. To get the tank a little dirty. See how the softies respond.

What do you think guys? Good idea or no?

Wouldn't hurt to try. Unless you have pest algae then it would hurt. Maybe you are one of the few with low phosphates.

No slightly pest algae except here.. And that's looked like that for over 3 weeks and just hasn't gone away because it's inside of the overflow where the snails can't get to it Lol!5f37c894f1f1030a4ac86c477f9afb30.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well figured I would give you guys an update.. Everything is doing exactly the same, soft corals don't seem to be getting any better after turning the skimmer off for almost two weeks, and over feeding.

Salinity 1.026

Nitrates 0 (still running Cheato)

Nitrites 0

Ammonia 0

PH 8.1

DKH 10

Kinda getting discouraged with softies. Although the chalice and zoas aren't really growing either..

Thanks for any help.

Get rid of your chaeto and see if your NO3 rises. By keeping that in, you are countering what you were trying to do by turning off the skimmer, etc.

FWIW, when I started in the hobby I had all sorts of mixed corals.   when my SPS was doing well and had pristine water, my softies and LPS seemed to suffer.  as time went on and I no longer had time to keep great conditions ( kids, commute...) along with numerous moves, I got out of SPS.  now all I have is LPS and softies.  I only do a water change once a year or so and the corals are growing like crazy.  I like the Paul B methods of hands off management.  I try to keep the tank only clean enough to keep problem algaes from overrunning, anything better seems to slow the coral growth in my tank... just my .02

Get rid of your chaeto and see if your NO3 rises. By keeping that in, you are countering what you were trying to do by turning off the skimmer, etc.

Yeah I'm going to take it out tonight see what happens.

FWIW, when I started in the hobby I had all sorts of mixed corals. when my SPS was doing well and had pristine water, my softies and LPS seemed to suffer. as time went on and I no longer had time to keep great conditions ( kids, commute...) along with numerous moves, I got out of SPS. now all I have is LPS and softies. I only do a water change once a year or so and the corals are growing like crazy. I like the Paul B methods of hands off management. I try to keep the tank only clean enough to keep problem algaes from overrunning, anything better seems to slow the coral growth in my tank... just my .02

Exactly how I started! I think sense my wife only like the softies I'm going to only go with the softies... I mean I like the chalice but not a whole lot like some others..

If you don't mind, could you post your parameters, and also what size tank you have please. Maybe some of the softies you are keeping in your setup as well.

Thanks for the help!!

tech- sure- I have a 75 rr, with T5 and 2x250 MH running over it.  Im currently skimming and running GFO as algaes are getting a little out of controll.  before recently though I just ran cheato for about 2yrs.  I really dont check any of my parameters other than PH.  over years of expereince, ive found if my PH is good then *most* other parameters tend to fall in line.  im currently running at a PH of about 8.2.  I dont dose any supplements, or really do any water changes.  I just top off with kalk water.  lately I have been dosing vinegar as well, again, to work on the algae issue.  with that said, I have no fish in the tank right now as they all got wiped out by this spring.  im more of a coral guy anyway, so at this point I really dont care if I have fish in there or not.  might try some clowns again this winter though...

as far as the corals that are doing well-zoos, toadstools, sinularias, colt, frogspawns, finger leathers, encrusting gorgonian and gsp.  Shrooms in my tank dont seem to be flourising.  my cabbage corals dont seem to be growing.  ive never been able to grow xenia for some reason.  i even have a coplue of old sps frags from way back that are slowly growing out.

my tank is slowly being taken ove by neon green sinularia.  small ends keep getting pulled into powerheads and get fragged off then reattach reandomly in the tank.  so far its looking pretty cool, but I will eventually have to trim them back.

I really dont check any of my parameters other than PH. 

In the 60 or so years I have been doing this, I have never changed my pH.  Not once.  I am not sure why.  I don't test it any more but whenever I have had it tested it is 8.4.  Maybe I am lucky or maybe having no test kits is the secret.  :cool:

hehe... when i was writing the above it crossed my mind that Paul B wouldnt bother with that...lol.  the only reason I do is because I bought a ph probe fairly early on.  all i have to do is press a button and get a readout.  im too lazy to do much more.  its nice to know with my kalk dosing though.

If it were me, I would stop all dosing and do some water changes so that you get back into a state where water chemistry (the unmeasured factors) are back in balance - maybe 5 or 6 25% changes. Then proceed with just regular changes. I have two nanos with softies and lps and I skim on occasion depending on how much I am feeding, or in between water changes. During any time period that I am skimming daily, I only leave it on for 2-4 hours (overnight if it were a bigger tank), but definitely not 24/7. I find that including macroalgaes helps in softie tanks to allow a good breeding area for edible critters. It would not hurt at all. I don't have your initial post up so I don't remember what fish you have, but stock well (not too lightly). A strong clean up crew and feeding well will do wonders. Also, make sure your water source is rodi.

My guess is that the dosing is causing your tissue recession primarily, but skimming takes out many food items and pulverizes very small organisms.