Open Brain Coral = getting too big

Guest Edwardj

Guest Edwardj

I have a nice open brain coral, but it's getting too big. I want to keep it - but it's just overtaking my sand floor. "Marine Invertebrates" indicates that I can't frag these things. Has anyone heard or read anything to the contrary? Do these things ever split on their own?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Edwardj

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Edwardj

Well, I met Anthony Calfo last weekend. Quite a nice guy. here's the scoop: anything can be fragged EXCEPT long tentacled plate corals. Oh, and of course, you can't frag fish, clams, crabs or snails. I just fragged 2 open brains (one green, one purple/black). Both seem to be doing just fine! The procedure is this:

Wave them around a bit upside down to get the fleshy part to retract. Then, use a tile cutting saw (wet saw). I just bought one from Home Depot for $88. Put them in a bucket or tank with an airstone for 10 or 15 minutes to let the mucous slough off. Then return them to the tank. Good idea to use uv sterilizer or ozone, but other than that, that's it! Oh, and be sure to have good water flow.

Oh - another great tidbit - anenome? Fragit! Cut with a sharp exacto knife or scapel, from the mouth one one side out to the edge. Then same thing on the other. The halves will circle around to form 2 small anenomes within 15 minutes. I saw him do i t- and I even got one of the halves - it's doing well.

I'm curious is anyone has ever used Berghia nudibranchs, and even better, if you have a few to get me started. These things are reef safe and eat aptasia.

Edwardj

Ask Anthony Calfo, he would know.

http://www.marinedepot.com/FORUMS/Forum13-1.aspx

Hi...new to the group and first post.

That sounds amazing about splitting anemones. I'm looking forward to reading some more about this (on the above Marine Depot forum and wetwebmedia I suppose).

I am building up a 72 gallon bowfront coral/invert tank with 130 lbs of live rock - from existing tanks. Seems to be doing fine with the mushroom "corals" and the one "test" briarium frag just sprouting multiple new polyp since last week after being in the tank for 3 weeks.

If you are looking at disposing your frag, please let me know! I'm trying to build with smaller pieces and under a blown budget - with setting up the tank!

Thanks!

Nadir

I almost fragged a clownfish once using the intake of a powerhead. Not on purpose.