MrSexyShrimp's 34g Solana AIO Sexy Shrimp Discotheque

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clean up clew, macroalgae & dry rock were ordered from ReefCleaners. Photos & review here. The Florida ceriths mostly died en route, but stayed in the tank for a few days anyway to see if there were any survivors. (A few survived, I think.) This is causing a mini-cycle which I'm keeping my eye on.

The clown goby, along with 2 astraea and 2 trochus snails, came from The Marine Scene, which is on my (long) way home from the office. Luckily it's a drive I don't need to make often.

I have not seen the yellow clown goby eat yet, which concerns me, but I have read this is somewhat normal for them. I used a turkey baster and frozen mysis directly in front of its face, but no luck. I have some garlic juice on order to try to tempt it. I am quite fond of it (him? her?) and after some initial shyness, it spends most of its day watching me work at my computer.

My two largest nerite snails are dying, possibly from shipping stress. When I put them in the tank, they quickly found a "spot" which they stayed near for a week. Monday morning one was on its side, foot partly extended. This morning (Wednesday), the other followed suit. I tried feeding with some seaweed I keep on hand for making miso soup, but no luck. I think they're too far gone, so I took those two out. I put a few pieces of seaweed in the tank for the other snails. So far the dwarf ceriths seem to be enjoying them.

The nassarius snails are quite active and have been happily consuming the mysis rejected by the clown goby.

The remaining nerites seem useless. Mostly they stay huddled in the back near the water line. A few cruise around at night. (I check on them with a flashlight.)

Wow people responded before I posted part 2.

How do you like the light? I'm waiting on mine.

It's very nice. I love the shimmer. I have it on low right now since I don't have any corals, but it can get pretty darn bright. I think even its low setting killed my red gracilaria macroalgae. (I've moved the surviving algae into the shadows.)

I also bought the overpriced metal arm which looks very sleek, but unfortunately I must unscrew the arm in order to remove my inTank media basket.

Earlier I was having noise issues with a loud MP10 and MJ1200 return pump. I discontinued use of the MP10 which I still need to sell. EcoTech sent me a new dryside. I don't think it's defective, I think I'm just more noise-sensitive than most of their customers since this setup is in my bedroom slash home office slash pleasure palace.

I solved the MJ1200 noise problem by downgrading to an MJ900. It's much much much quieter. I am pleased. I'll keep the MJ1200 for mixing saltwater, I guess.

I also have the 9001 Tunze Comline skimmer, which skims gray water. I haven't figured out how to make it skim 'dry' yet. Other reviewers noted their skimmate is wet also, so it might not be possible. It's louder than I'd like but it seems pretty necessary.

Tomorrow I should receive via UPS a Tunze ATO, a BRS DIY screen top w/ 1/4" mesh, a JBJ fuge light for my chaetomorpha, and some garlic extract to entice the goby.

My yellow clown goby was always very picky. Mysis of any kind would have been way too big. I have heard cyclopeez is the best frozen for them but mine wasn't terribly interested. She loved her crushed mini pellets though! She couldn't handle them whole. And only while they were floating. :) Darn picky fish but cute. I can't believe you can even find it in a 34 gallon. Nice setup.

My yellow clown goby was always very picky. Mysis of any kind would have been way too big. I have heard cyclopeez is the best frozen for them but mine wasn't terribly interested. She loved her crushed mini pellets though! She couldn't handle them whole. And only while they were floating. :) Darn picky fish but cute. I can't believe you can even find it in a 34 gallon. Nice setup.

What kind of pellets did you crush? I have some "Formula One Medium Pellets" I could try crushing.

It's really easy to find her! (I'm decided it's a she for absolutely no reason.) She follows me around, watches me work. She's really cute.

New Life Spectrum 1mm. They are cute. I actually found mine at a Petco. She had been there awhile and was eating great. They are not the easiest but I like the size.

They look like they've grown three sizes :)

At least one of them molted within 2 days of the transfer. They mostly hang out together, but 1 of them is a bit of an outcast and/or free spirit. 

Starting to get mild green film algae on some of the dry rock. Never went through the traditional post-cycle diatoms stage. I'm actually a little happy about the algae, I was worried I might be starving my herbivorous snails. Feast, my lovelies, feast!

Nerite snails seem entirely worthless. They just cluster in the corner. I see a few move at night, but most just stay where they are. For the most part they stopped climbing out of the tank. I would think they're dead except they cling to the walls pretty tightly.

Dwarf ceriths climb all over the rockwork, and the nassarius pull their weight. Trochus and astrea move all over. The trochus will occasionally do a little shimmy, which clinks against the rocks/glass. I don't know why they do this but I think it's great.

Yellow clown goby continues its hunger strike. Garlic extract did not help. I need to track down a LFS that sells Cyclopeeze, ordering frozen food has crazy high shipping costs.

@jwalsh's 3 sexy shrimp and tailspot blenny acclimated well and have good appetites. Also got from him 2 monti frags, some green/purple acans, and flame algae, all doing well.

Installed the Tunze ATO, which is working well.

Skimmer is disruptive to my sleep. I'll either need to sell it or get a timer/controller and turn it off at night. It's not loud-loud, it's just bedroom-loud.

My ReefCleaners chaeotomorpha is almost completely melted away, which made a huge mess. Pieces of clear chaeto everywhere, I'm still picking it out. Never expected to have trouble keeping chaeto alive. When I had it previously it just grew and grew and grew. The remaining green bits are in a mediabasket with a dedicated fuge light. Hoping I can save some of it.

Managed to save some of the red gracilaria algae by moving it into the shadows.

Bought some cyclopeeze and Rod's frozen reef food on my way home from work. I think I've now spent 4x the purchase cost of the clown goby on frozen foods to try to tempt it to eat.

I THINK I saw the clown goby eat some cyclopeeze, but it's so small and he was hiding under a rock at the time, so I'm not sure.

Thanks. It's a little rough in person. I had to improvise to get the cutout area.

Can't tell in the photo!

The YCG still being a prima donna with food? And FTS, FTW.

Yes. I do daily feedings with a portion of a cube of Cyclop-eeze. I am forced to broadcast feed, because the YCG is terrified of the feeding tube apparatus and hides from it. YCG is a very slow, methodical, annoying eater. A good portion gets spit back out. It's getting very thin. At this point I don't really know what I can do but chalk it up as a lesson: "Make sure you see the fish eat before you buy it."

Blennifer is thoroughly unimpressed with the Cyclop-eeze. "You call this FOOD? Food for ANTS maybe." Blennifer is pretty much always down to eat.

One of the sexy shrimps molted overnight, found the shell stuck to the grate of the powerhead.

I guess I am overdue on a full tank shot. For now, just imagine all my beautiful white dry rock covered in a powdery coating of lime green algae.