Help!!! Overdosed tank

Laurie

I just discovered that my kalkwasser drip has been running all day. The Ph was at 9.52. Salinity at 1.022  Normal parameters are Ph 8.07-8.11  Salinity 1.025. My system is 200 gal total. I have 25 gal of RO water so did that much of a water change but it didn't help much.  Came down to 9.30. Takes me 24 hrs to make 25 gal of RO.

I need to find some way to get the Ph down without having to do massive water change. That will take too long.

I fear Total Loss.

Any suggestions?

Don't worry so much about the Ph. As Surf said , Alk,  then Sal, then Cal.

What are you keeping: coral and fish?

Follow your topic in the upper right corner so you know when you are getting responses.

I'm bad. Haven't checked the alk or calc in a while. My alk test kit is dead. So can't check that until I get a new one tomorrow. I have gotten the salinity back to normal. Decided to use my tap water to do water changes. It is well water. Hope that won't create a whole new batch of problems. Doing 10 gal changes every hr.

I have shrooms, GSP, Frogspawn, Candy cane, leathers, ORA, acan, blasto . Most are closed up. Tangs, chromis, clowns, cardinals, shrimp, crabs. Fish seem ok. Turned the lights off for now.

If I used soda water and vinegar, what kind of mixing and dosing should I do. Am I better off trying that or continuing to do frequent small water changes?

Yesterday mine spiked to 8.94. To much kalk myself. I added 10 gallons of ro and unhooked my ato til today. This morning it was back to 8.20 and everything isok. Mine is aprx 340 gallons.

My system is 200 gal total. ...Takes me 24 hrs to make 25 gal of RO.

No to hit you while you are down but I suggest upgrading your RO membrane to something much faster in the future.  25GPD is too slow for that much tank.  I have a 210 and I use a 150GPD.  While I normally keep 25-50 gallons of pre-mixed salt on hand, I also like knowing I can do a 50% water change in 12 hours and then another 50% after I wake up the next day if needed.

Ya, it probably would be a good idea to be able to make water faster.

I have to say that this morning everything looks really good. Corals are happy, Fish are happy, and the Ph has dropped to 8.42. Still high, but manageable.

Thanks for all comments

In the future is this happens. I actually do not know what would be best-- but my thoughts would be against a rapid change in pH-- bring it down slow? 

People may disagree with me on this. But when I was doing research on how pH effects scallop larvae (very different to this) if my air lines shut off and the pH spiked and i turned my airline on the next day and it went back down rapidly to 7.5 (on purpose) everything would die. And that wasnt because of the initial spike -- it may have been-- but the quick changes are really harmful stresses animals out. Older animals can handle it a lot better than larvae though!

I would keep more water than 25 gallons on hand if I had a 200 gallon tank. Glad alls well that ends well though. I keep 50 gallons on hand, and would do 100% (150 gallons) if I wasn't in a condo.

Know someone who had a kalk overdose in a 260. They did a 50% water change out --problem solved. I've done more 50% change outs then I know and corals always looked better.

I would keep more water than 25 gallons on hand if I had a 200 gallon tank. Glad alls well that ends well though. I keep 50 gallons on hand, and would do 100% (150 gallons) if I wasn't in a condo.

Where do you find the space to store 50 gallons? lol.  Apparently I need to get rid of my shoe collection.

Where do you find the space to store 50 gallons? lol. Apparently I need to get rid of my shoe collection.

Nope, just do this:

20cfb5f43c5985e41b7fa3b0ec4dd036.jpg

No Prada?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Not everyone buys their wife's Prada shoes.....me included :tongue:

Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

And others (no names mentioned :tongue: ) only buy them when they get in trouble! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(edited)

I don't have the space to store more water. No extra shoe closets.

It's been 5 days since the overdose. Nothing died. In fact some corals look better. Guess the extra calcium helped. What I ended up doing was a total 70 gal water change over a 12 hr period. 25 gal of RO and 45 gal of tap water (well water). Got the salinity back to normal and dropped the Ph  .8.    Kept the lights off and the next morning it was almost normal.

I didn't want to change things to rapidly, but I also didn't want the corals to be in a high Ph,  low salinity environment any longer than necessary.

Edited by Laurie