Masterflex Peristaltic Pump for Calcium Reactor

Marc Weaver

I got so sick of fiddling with my needle valve all the time, I decided to do something about it.  For around $300, I purchased a used Cole-Parmer Masterflex pump, a new head, and all the tubing / fittings required.  These units are made for continuous duty and have a great reputation for running for years and years with quarterly tubing replacements.

I was using a maxi-jet pump in the sump (I have also tried the unit gravity-fed) but I would have to adjust the needle valve daily.  I hooked the unit up pulling through the reactor on the effluent side.  I am hoping to avoid blowing the lid off if the effluent line clogs.  These pumps can build up high pressure, and I don't want that kind of pressure in the reactor.

Here is a video of it in action.  I checked the output and it's dead on.  The numbers bounce around a little bit, but I continuously measured 35-40mL per minute through the unit.  Now all that's left is to clean the installation up someday, it's kind of ghetto right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMimmngyjM

First, I bought the pump with digital drive, a new Easy-Load II head, a few 1/4" barb to 1/8" threaded fittings, a few 1/8" to john-guest fittings, and some clamps.  

IMG_0243.jpg

The head:

IMG_0244.jpg

The tubing and misc parts:

IMG_0245.jpg

The tubing cut and fittings installed:

IMG_0251.jpg

Head installed (2 screws and lining up the tang on the back:

IMG_0247.jpg

Open the head to load the tubing:

IMG_0252.jpg

Close to lock-on:

IMG_0253.jpg

Say bye-bye to this PITA needle valve:

IMG_0258.jpg

Replaced with this:

IMG_0260.jpg

All done:

IMG_0261.jpg

Masterflex makes a great, long lasting, quality pump. I have two lab-grade pumps and three easy-load heads (including one dual-tube head), both bought used a few years ago as part of a group buy here. One of those pumps is on my calcium reactor.