Advice on introducing my last Tang

Epic Reefer

I want to add my last tang to my tank and that will be an Achilles tang. I have a purple a yellow a blonde naso and a hippo and last and they all get along and have been in there a year, any advice on introducing and Achilles should I buy a larger one or smaller then the other tangs. Fatten him up in the sump or not? Pretty sure the hippo has ich but never flares up on any of them.

Any advise will be appreciated.upepu7er.jpg

Normally if you rearrange the rockwork it makes the established fish find new homes and they tend to ignore the new guy long enough to allow it to settle in. Since you have a good bit of corals that option really isn't easy.

Introducing the fish in the evening and then turning the lights off gives the new fish several hours to adjust to the tanks change in water chemistry. It allows it to relax a little before needing to defend himself against tankmates in the morning.

A larger fish helps prevent some aggression but there is no guarantee.

Sometimes I will use a large basket in the tank with the new specimen in it so the existing fish can come check the new one out. You'll be able to see if there is any aggression first hand without releasing the fish into the aquarium.

Achilles are delicate fish on intro so the first key is getting a healthy specimen. I haven't looked in a long time, but seem to recall most specimens are pretty large in the trade nowadays. Given the price tag, I would take the additional step of using an isolation box until aggression goes away as the fact that you've got ich in your tank that you haven't seen indicates to me that your fish will get a case of it when new blood is introduced and their stress levels rocket.

On the other hand, even though you have some other tangs, only the purple is what I would consider aggressive from past experiences. You also have the added benefit that this would be your first Acanthurus species in the tank and the closest thing is the Paracanthurus species blue, which is typically not an aggressive fish.

Either way, my biggest concern for you is the disease complicated by stress factor as it sounds like you are going to skill quarantine and already have ich in the tank. The last time I added a new tang to my tank it wiped out every fish I had because I brought velvet into the system... New disease coupled with new blood that potentially started an ich cycle all over again wiped out everything within a couple of weeks.

I've also heard the try at dark, acclimation box, and mirrors as well.

I'd love to see more of your tank, it's beautiful, how about a dedicated build?

I've also heard the try at dark, acclimation box, and mirrors as well.

I'd love to see more of your tank, it's beautiful, how about a dedicated build?

I think I have decided to put all my current tangs in the sump 80'gal and let the new fish have the DT to himself until he is eating then introduce the others back all at once .

And thank you for the compliment it is a nice set up I am enjoying it very much just to lazy to do a build thread! Lol

I hate you and that sweet LIGHT. :laugh:  :clap:  :laugh:  Looking good Bro.

Happy Reefing!!!

I hate you and that sweet LIGHT. :laugh: :clap: :laugh: Looking good Bro.

Happy Reefing!!!

Yes added a new ballast ordered all new bulbs and painted the housing white. Getting ready to install 72in ReefBrites next. A big shout out to KC350twin for helping fix those t5,s and hanging it!!!! It is a killer light! Thanks for the compliment.