MH T5 light upgrade

tom39

(edited)

I bought a tank and it came with an Odyssea MH/T5 light fixture that I am trying to recycle. From what I have read about the fixture, the T5 ballasts are cheap, the MH ballasts are limited and need to be moded and the fans need to move more air. The light configuration houses 2 - 250 MH (15K), 4 - 54W T5 bulbs and 6 moonlight led pods. After giving the fixture a good scrubbing, I assessed the condition of the light and my estimate to fix it is $175. The list includes 2 new 15k MH bulbs, 4 T5 bulbs, 4 moonlight leds, 2 T5 ballasts, 4 mosfets for the MH ballast mod and 1 - 6P/125v/ dbl/bipolar/rocker switch. Also, I am repairing this light just for the fun of it and I don't intend on using this light personally. More than likely pass it on to someone else but don't want to pass on a piece of junk when I do.

I have only ever used leds and know nothing about MH or T5's so any help is appreciated.The question I have is what bulbs should I use for the T5? Since I will not be using the light, I guess I am looking for is more of a general light spectrum, a light that would be good for the beginner to intermediate reefer. 

What do you all think about this combination?  2 - ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue Special and 1 ATI Coral Plus.

Please let me know what you think,

Thanks,

Tom G

Edited by tom39

(edited)

If you're going to do all of that....... Take oute the halides put your LEDs in place of them and have t5 as accent lights.

T5/mh combo and t5/led combo are the best. I'm currently working on a t5/mh/led combo my self.

Edited by kjamaya

Retro fitting leds into the fixture has been a consideration, but that adventure adds another $450 to the parts list. Plus, explaining to my understand wife that I am going to spend $175 on a light that I am not going to use is hard enough. Not sure my wife will be so understanding when I tell her the cost has escalated to $625+.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I will stick with repairing what is there and not worry about finding a new place to live when she finds out how much I spent.