Acans not doing well

fphipps

Ever since I changed my lights from LEDs to ATI T5 my acans have not been opening. They have feeders out at night but do not open during the day. My scoly that I recently got seems to be in a similar boat. My favia, trumpets and other LPS as well as my softies and acros seem fine and happy. My nitrates are a tad high, around 10-20ppm but with everything else doing fine I don't believe that is the problem. All other parameters are in check.

ALK- 8dkh

Ca- 480

Mg- 1350

Sg- 1.025-1.026

I have tried moving them to more shaded parts of the tank, less flow, more flow, more light... Nothing makes them happy. I got the ATI in the beginning of May

Any thoughts?

Which ATI fixture do you have? Is it a Sunpower? If so I was in a similar situation when I switched from LED to T5. The ATI lights put out a lot of PAR, and I had to move mine to a more shaded area of the tank. It took about a month or so until they started opening again.

Yeah 6x80 SunPower. I raised the light after I moved them to the shaded part of the tank. My light is now 15 inches above the tank. Which I think is high. My montipora caps were also bleaching with the light 12 inches above and they seem to have recovered their color, though the nudibranchs aren't helping with them-_-

Did you light acclimate the tank? I used two layers of window screen across the top of my tank after I put my light up for a month or so. This reduces the intensity of the light hitting the coral, and slowly acclimates them. Might want to try that if possible

Egg crate works great for blocking light.

It better, being that everyone on the planet other than reefers know eggcrate as light diffusers.

It better, being that everyone on the planet other than reefers know eggcrate as light diffusers.

This is pretty funny.

Op, I've heard folks use tints to slowly acclimate...