marine fish breeding workshop july 19th

dave w

The Marine Breeding Iniative is having a workshop Saturday July 19th.  It is about a 6-7 hour drive and I'd enjoy the company if anyone wanted to go.  I think the daylong seminars are $45, the info is at the MBI site.  I think that's called mbi.com or something like that.  Hotel is something like $80 for Saturday night, there are several people looking for room mates, I'm only allowed to share a room with a guy, that's on orders of my wife.

Just a clarification.  Any female is welcome to share a ride, it's not limited to guys only.  It's just that once we get there, she'll need to room with someone else if she wants to cut the hotel bill.  I found a couple of hotels for $55 a night.

(edited)

I truly wish I can go and Matt Pedersen was really talking me into it, but unfortunately I can't. Dave if you are up to it would you mind if I gave you some money to take with you to put towards raffles?

Edited by Mattiejay6

I can leave just about any time.  There is a reception Friday evening that we could make or miss, no big deal.  If driving alone, I planned to leave around noon and take a leisurely trip, maybe stopping in the middle for a museum or something.  If you want to go, I could pick you up in Purcelville when you got off work.  That would probably put us getting there around midnight.

I truly wish I can go and Matt Pedersen was really talking me into it, but unfortunately I can't. Dave if you are up to it would you mind if I gave you some money to take with you to put towards raffles?

Mattiejay, you can give me as much money as you want, I'll put it in my pocket, then come back and sadly report to  you that you didn't win any raffles!

Just kidding.  They are going to raffle off some lightning maroon clowns and if I were in to clownfish I'd jump on that.  But clowns don't interest me.  If you haven't already seen what they have to raffle, you can look it up on the MBI site.    Just let me know where to xfer the money before I leave Friday.  I'll give you copies of all the raffle tickets.

Here's a crazy idea.  If anyone has a Paypal account (I don't), any WAMAS member who wants to put up raffle money for pairs of lightning maroon clowns can send money to that person, then I'll put that money toward the raffle.  I could buy individual tickets numbered on a first come first bought basis, or maybe the group would want to share a percentage of the fish.  Say 5 people bought 20 tickets each and one of those 100 tickets won the lightning maroons, then those five would pick someone to breed the mated pair and then each would get 20% of the offspring.  

I really don't know how to work it out, just an idea.  But that's an amazing fish and people in this club have done more crazy things than this.  One thing for sure, I have no interest in clownfish so I wouldn't have any raffle tickets in my name, I would just do this as a favor to WAMAS members.

Mattiejay, you can give me as much money as you want, I'll put it in my pocket, then come back and sadly report to  you that you didn't win any raffles!

Just kidding.  They are going to raffle off some lightning maroon clowns and if I were in to clownfish I'd jump on that.  But clowns don't interest me.  If you haven't already seen what they have to raffle, you can look it up on the MBI site.    Just let me know where to xfer the money before I leave Friday.  I'll give you copies of all the raffle tickets.

Haha very funny!

Since you don't have paypal how would you prefer I send you money? I'd like to send $50 :-)

There is some great raffle prizes! I'm sad I can't make it not because of the prizes, but because there is so much to learn.... At least I can live some what vicariously through you haha

I also remember reading about some great raffle prizes.  I'll email you the raffle ticket numbers Saturday morning and then let you know if any won when do the drawing.  I'd guess the drawing will be Saturday evening.  We'll try to meet up before Friday.  I've never been to a marine propagation workshop and am looking forward to learning a lot of new stuff.  Mostly I'd like to put faces to some of the names I've corresponded with on MBI, there are a lot nice people on that forum. 

I also remember reading about some great raffle prizes.  I'll email you the raffle ticket numbers Saturday morning and then let you know if any won when do the drawing.  I'd guess the drawing will be Saturday evening.  We'll try to meet up before Friday.  I've never been to a marine propagation workshop and am looking forward to learning a lot of new stuff.  Mostly I'd like to put faces to some of the names I've corresponded with on MBI, there are a lot nice people on that forum.

There will be some serious influential breeders from the hobby there :-)

Matt Pederson is the lightning Maroon breeder

Dave - going to have to pass and stay home. I would any other time, but starting starting a new job, other project planning, and a looming honey-do list are making me begrudgingly act like an adult and be responsible.

There will be some serious influential breeders from the hobby there :-)

Matt Pederson is the lightning Maroon breeder

Yes, Matt is a living legend in the fish breeding world.  Dr. Rhyne is also one of the best authorities on copepods and I'd like to meet him in person.  

Dave - going to have to pass and stay home. I would any other time, but starting starting a new job, other project planning, and a looming honey-do list are making me begrudgingly act like an adult and be responsible.

Doug, no problem.  I'll just leave earlier in the day and make it to the reception for socializing.   It would have been fun to talk with you during the drive.