tank stand questions

Huly

Ok most of the original damage has been fixed so now it is time to start looking at ordering the tank (250g Marine Land DD)and building a stand.  Our first question since this will be an in wall is what wood should be used to build the stand?  Regular wood? Composite? Also what should we use to protect the wood and wall frame from salt water?  We used green board in that wall already.  Thoughts? 

If you dont use the stand marineland sells they void the warrenty on the tank or it is greatly shortened.

I guess me personally. I would probably use just plain old pine and use a deck sealant like this one. Although some good coats of good oll primer would probably be just fine to as long as you can keep some moisture out. 

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/waterproofing-products/waterproofing-stains/

Although wood for the stand is only one concern. To much moisture in the room can lead to mold, rot, and rust.

I would just use good old framing wood wether it be 2x4 or 2x6..that what alot of people use..Some do go to a steel stand for in wall, but as u can image the expence is a bit more.

When I build my in way display I'm planning on using pressure treated lumber for the stand spraying it with killz then paint over the sealer. As for your build out above the tank I would use the green board on metal framing studs. Then paint all that with killz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular wood. 

PT lumber is treated with a copper compound that can, if it gets water on it and drips back into your sump, can start bad things happening. (I've had it happen.) Sealing it may help, but I prefer not using it at all to avoid the risk. If there's enough humidity to cause problems with the stand (where the air circulates well), then you'll have even bigger problems in the walls of the room (where there's not as much circulation).

Thank you for all the input.  I have heard to stay away from pressure treated lumber also as the chemicals in it can cause allergy issues and I am already allergic to everything!