Trouble with Bulkheads..

John Ford

I'm good.. Well so far HA!!

The only bulkheads I've put on were on plastic. Am I being silly for sweating tempered glass? I haven't been this nervous since the first time.. Well let's just stay on topic.

What's the issue? I didn't think you could drill tempered glass, are the holes already there?

Thanks Travis. So far a few curve balls have been thrown at me but a build thread is in the makings...

Still not as nice as a lot of the setups here but one day~

Well I tightened them pretty snug.

I'm gonna walk away from it tonight and get back to it Saturday. I want my sump in place before I plumb it so I'll revisit them at the final tweak before I leak test

certainly not a subject matter expert on this but I believe they are just supposed to be hand tightened, I am yet to fill my tank with water so I cant confirm that but that's what I read lol

The only problem with that is the overflow pipes get screwed into the fittings so if the bulkheads are just hand tight you risk loosening them while cleaning your drain pipe. (I think)

certainly not a subject matter expert on this but I believe they are just supposed to be hand tightened, I am yet to fill my tank with water so I cant confirm that but that's what I read lol

Yeah, that's what I always heard as well. I think CoralHind mentioned on another thread that he uses a wrench for another 1/4" turn for good measure after a hand tightening. Also mentioned that everybody's hand tightening was going to be different, which I guess is true.

John, I'm sure you're fine, here is a good test, pour a little bit of water into your overflow, if it leaks, your bulkheads need to be tightened ;)

The 150 was the first tank I plumbed. Friends gave me a hand when I set it up, but because I designed the initial layout I'm skeptical.

Deep blue gives you slip fittings so those pipes just slide in. I see that as the whole box will slowly drain Into the sump in an outage. I'm using thread on thread so that won't happen (there I go thinking again)

Deep blue gives you slip fittings so those pipes just slide in. I see that as the whole box will slowly drain Into the sump in an outage. I'm using thread on thread so that won't happen (there I go thinking again)

I never had any problems, but I only ran a durso with the deep blue slip fittings for about 6 months (probably less.) They squeeze in there pretty tight, and after operating for a while, seize up almost. I had a H-E-double hockey sticks of a time getting mine out when the time came. I think worrying about losing water from the bottom of where the PVC squeezes into the bulkhead slip should be low on your list of concerns. JMO.