Could my unicorn tang need glasses?

countryboy

I have a large Unicorn tang I've had for a couple years now in my 220 fowlr. The last couple weeks I've noticed he's having trouble eating. It seems like he can't see the food. if I drop some right in front of his mouth he gets a couple bites but doesn't eat like he used too. He was a eating machine that just swam and eat like a pig. I've noticed sometimes he goes after the food and misses it like he"s crosseyed or something. Anyone ran in to this before or have any ideas? My water params are great

His eyes are clear and look good. i don't know how old he is. I've had him over two years. he was about8 inches when I got him now is is around 12. He does seem to manuever in and out of the rocks ok, but can't seem to focus on the smaller pieces of food. Anyone know how old these fish get? He one of my favorites who is so tame I can reach in and touch him.

It's a bigger fish so offer it some larger pieces of food maybe. Does it pick at nori if you rubber band it to a rock or put it in a feeding clip?

Mine was about 4" when I got it and now its about 12". We've had it for six years and the previous owner had it for three. Ours loves to be touched and rubbed too. I stopped doing as I was afraid it was messing up his slim coat. I used to put my hand in the tank and he would actually swim up and sit in my hand.

Decreased appetite is not a good thing - my thought is that something is affecting its overall health which has little or nothing to do with eyesight.  Despite not seeing any sign of illness externally, there could be something else going on that is affecting it internally.  Have you added anything new to the tank recently?  Water parameters only tell part of the story - there's a lot of things that could be in the water that we don't test for such as heavy metals, contaminants, etc.  What about temperature and potential electrical current leaking into the tank?  Broken heater perhaps?  Burned out pump?

The idea of larger food pieces makes sense. My yellow zebramosa tang tends to ignore little pieces of food, especially because I let him nibble off of big chunks of frozen stuff that I hold in my hand, then let the piece go so he and the clowns can play tug of war with it until it falls all apart. Actually, maybe you could try getting it to eat this way, since tangs like to pick.

It's a bigger fish so offer it some larger pieces of food maybe. Does it pick at nori if you rubber band it to a rock or put it in a feeding clip?

Mine was about 4" when I got it and now its about 12". We've had it for six years and the previous owner had it for three. Ours loves to be touched and rubbed too. I stopped doing as I was afraid it was messing up his slim coat. I used to put my hand in the tank and he would actually swim up and sit in my hand.

That's the only way he can find it if I chop up food in big pieces. He picks at nori a little but not very interested in it

Decreased appetite is not a good thing - my thought is that something is affecting its overall health which has little or nothing to do with eyesight.  Despite not seeing any sign of illness externally, there could be something else going on that is affecting it internally.  Have you added anything new to the tank recently?  Water parameters only tell part of the story - there's a lot of things that could be in the water that we don't test for such as heavy metals, contaminants, etc.  What about temperature and potential electrical current leaking into the tank?  Broken heater perhaps?  Burned out pump?

It's not that he doesn't have an appetite, he swims around looking for it when I feed but unless it is right in front of his mouth he misses it. My temp stays 79 to 80 and I cannot find any stray current. I seriously don't think he see's right anymore.He is getting a few morsels but nothing like he is used to.

I would try hand feeding some bigger pieces, to check out his hunger level.