Clownfish eggs!

Stumbled across a batch of clownfish eggs on the back wall of my tank last night. Total shock as I've had these two for (around) 6 and 8 years. This is the first time I've seen anything like this with them. I just had to share my excitement somewhere as my coworkers think I'm nuts already.

Not looking to do anything with this batch, but if they keep it up I was thinking about it. I know there are other posts so I'll be reading around, but if you want to direct me to anything I should be checking out that would be great.

There are several good books on clownfish rearing if you want to find them on amazon.  Joyce Wilkerson wrote a good one about 15-20 years ago.  Frank Hoff wrote a very informative and technical one about 10 years ago, and Matt Wittenrich wrote a breeder's guide 2-3 years ago.  However you can find just as much information on the web.  A good breeder's site is MBI, which stands for something like marine breeder's iniative.  They are a very supportive group.

You might start getting some 2 liter cola bottles, some fertilizer from florida aqua farms, and learn about growing rotifers.  You will have a lot of fun.

Time to start the hunt for 2 liters then.. Guess I'll put a request out to my neighbors. I grew rotifers years ago, as well as brine shrimp. Now to freshen up and relearn things.

Here they are. She's the normal false perc (petco special), he's a black and white.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations.  

Really interesting that you have had them for so long and they are just now laying eggs. I suppose it's possible they been secretive about it. 

Congratulations.  

Really interesting that you have had them for so long and they are just now laying eggs. I suppose it's possible they been secretive about it. 

It really boggles my brain that it took this long as well. Maybe they had in the past and I never noticed.. but unless it was hidden somewhere then I'm not sure how I would have missed it.

Or maybe they finally realized they are stuck with each other and they might as well enjoy themselves ;)

I read on some forum that someone was able to catch most fry, raise 2-3 fry off frozen packaged Rotifer. May be worth a try. Seems too good to be true though