MP 40wES help

Jan

I have 2 Mp40's. One of them sounds like an airplane about to take off. Is this how they usually sound? The other one is super quiet. These aren't new. I purchased them from another reefer. Mfr date on both is late 2013. One of the pumps was a little stiff compared to the other. They've been on and running to 4 days now. The one that isn't stiff is quiet. They were very clean when I got them. I soaked, scrubbed and rinsed just in case. Nothing is clogging anything that I can see.  

Try adjusting the dry side alittle bit like a millimeter at a time and it should get quieter

Try soaking the wet sides in a hot water  / vinegar bath for an hour or so.

(edited)

Try adjusting the dry side alittle bit like a millimeter at a time and it should get quieter

I did this after the 24 hour break in. Have done it twice already each time giving it another adjustment period. No go.

Try soaking the wet sides in a hot water  / vinegar bath for an hour or so.

I soaked them as soon as I got them home. This is when we heard a difference between the two and figured it needed a break in period. Hubby, Mr. tinkerer, took them apart, cleaned them, put them back together. One was running faster after his cleaning. The other ran a little faster, but the noise has not gone away. I'm thinking maybe something happened to one of them and maybe that's why the guy sold them? I dunno. Stinking thinking, I know. 

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

Sounds like it should still be under 1 year warranty. If all else fails contact ecotech and they will mail you a sticker for the warranty repair. But first I would switch up the wet sides to make sure it's not a wet side problem. If no change in sound there is a problem. Some people have bearings go bad. Mine have lasted and havnt had a problem. Also double check to make sure you have the spacer set to the right spot for your thickness of glass. Finally you know that rubber hockey puck thing that sticks to the glass? I had to remove mine from the unit to fine tune it to get the noise to go away. My hippo likes to itch himself on the power head knocking it off track.

What do you mean switch up the wet side and wet side problem? 

My husband thought the reason the propeller didn't spin as easily on the noisy one was because of the ceramic spacer. It wasn't in all the way when we got it. He fine tuned it all and it worked a little better.

I have not used the rubber pad that goes on the glass. I didn't think I needed it. 

Sounds like it should still be under 1 year warranty. If all else fails contact ecotech and they will mail you a sticker for the warranty repair. But first I would switch up the wet sides to make sure it's not a wet side problem. If no change in sound there is a problem. Some people have bearings go bad. Mine have lasted and havnt had a problem. Also double check to make sure you have the spacer set to the right spot for your thickness of glass. Finally you know that rubber hockey puck thing that sticks to the glass? I had to remove mine from the unit to fine tune it to get the noise to go away. My hippo likes to itch himself on the power head knocking it off track.

Are they adjusted for the right glass thickness?

(edited)

Yes, that's the very first thing done before they were placed on the glass. I have two. One works great. the other is noisy.

Are they adjusted for the right glass thickness?

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

Yes, that's the very first thing done before they were placed on the glass. I have two. One works great. the other is noisy.

Gotcha. That's about as far as I can take you! Hopefully somebody else can be more helpful.

Ok. I called ecotech they are sending me a replacement for the wet side and a free shipping return label for this one. All free of charge. Amazing!!!  I guess that's what $400+/head gets you.