Canister filter recommendations

TrueTricia

It cost's about the same to drill a tank as it does to buy all the parts to do the DIY overflow I think, I was just too scared, good luck

Drilling is super easy. You should consider drilling it at your friends house before you bring it back to your place. I drilled my 20 gallon in the bathtub, and added it onto my 150 through my sump.

Absolutely, if your going to make a mess or break something, you should always do it at a friends house. 

what brand tank is the 90g, you can generally find out if the glass is tempered on the manufacturer's site or through a google search, but you can also check with a smart phone and some polarized glasses I believe it is.

Drilling it will be way more fool proof then a hang on the back overflow and would be my preferred method, and as for installing baffles in the sump that's the easy part, just some aquarium safe silicone and get a glass shop to cut a few baffles and glue them in, nothing to drill down there.

I'm down in your home area almost every day for work, so if you need help with something early in the afternoon I can generally lend a hand.

I may very well take you up on that! Thank you!

Absolutely, if your going to make a mess or break something, you should always do it at a friends house.

Lmfao. Of course. Why make a mess at your place? I'm pretty handy (I mean for a city girl) but I think I'm definitely going to take one of you guys up on an offer to help. I'd hate to end up drilling through something I'll regret.

I'll supply the beer/wine/sangria!

I can also help you drill it if you want to toss it in the car when you pick up rock depending on bulkhead size. I have 2, maybe 3 bits, would have to check sizes.

Thanks Dave. I won't have the actual tank until sometime later next week. I'm picking it up from my coworker after work.

I'm taking everyone's advice and taking it slow. Once i get the tank and stand, I'm going to see if the offered sump will fit. Then if it does, plan out my plumbing. I need to look at internal overflow boxes and placement. So there's still some planning to be done.

Bring it to the meeting.  I bet 10 guys show up with drill bits to help you open it up.

+1

Her 40G would make a nice sump

But she needs to keep the fish somewhere during the build and cycle

(and it has to fit under the stand you are getting)

It might be easier to get a 20G or 28G used tank as the sump, just add glass or acrylic baffles.

Get the 90G drilled, then use a submersible return pump, or drill the sump too and use an external pump (but this might be louder)

Good Luck!

Her 40G would make a nice sump

But she needs to keep the fish somewhere during the build and cycle

(and it has to fit under the stand you are getting)

It might be easier to get a 20G or 28G used tank as the sump, just add glass or acrylic baffles.

Get the 90G drilled, then use a submersible return pump, or drill the sump too and use an external pump (but this might be louder)

Good Luck!

I think she's building a stand, so hopefully the 40B will be ok. I had a 40B but I couldnt get it to fit under the stand so I had to go with a 29 gal from petoc instead.

+1 on drilling the tank, I did not do that when setting up my 90 and I regret it, I wonder how much further along I would have been if I would have joined WAMAS 18 months ago lol.