back flush valve question

GaryL

All that a backflush valve is is basically running filtered water (from the first few stages to remove chlorine which is harmful to the membrane) over the membrane to dislodge large particles that have built up there. I have backflushed my membrane a couple of times and it has helped a bit with producing more water and has brought my TDS down a bit. I know that others have said it hasn't helped them at all, though, so I think it's kind of hit or miss as far as the membrane is concerned and only helps in certain situations.

Anyway, to backflush it, you don't need to get a kit or anything, just replumb your RO temporarily. Take the hose that goes into the input of your RO chamber and connect this to the (OK, now I'm trying to remember which one I did, but I believe you connect it to the wastewater and let the water run over the membrane) wastewater. Let it run for awhile (I usually bang mine around a bit, not sure if this helps). Make sure that while it's running you have disconnected your other hoses because the water will now be flowing out of the supply line. You could also hook it up to the clean water line as well and force some water back through the membrane dislodging things in the membrane a bit and then run the wastewater side again. After this is all done, put it back together and let it run for a little while to clear out the membrane and whatever you ended up depositing on the clean side while flushing it. I'm having a lapse right now so can't remember which one is supposed to be flushed (I think that if you put it on the output side it might not produce any water so doesn't flush anything there), but I'm pretty sure that I flushed from the wastewater side.

Good luck,

Dave

cool sounds like a piece of cake.

hey chip i think bob found another source for the cold sterile stuff at tropical lagoon. i dont know if e told you that yet. FYI