Ah ha......ATO update......

ErikS

So we don't get it mixed up I thought I'd start a new thread........

Happened again. Came home & found it making the sucking sound = low sump.

1) ATO light is on

2) ATO pump is not turning

3) no leaks

This time I see the light is on & the pump is not turning. Refill the water = good to go. Unplug the ATO pump & plug it back in = it's  NOT burned out. Also, when I added the make up water the ATO sensor did go out.

My guess at this time is that there's an issue with the outlet (intermitent power).

Test plan - skimmate locker & ATO senor are the same, no? My plan was to switch the two boxes & see if the issue pops up again (apparently it's weekly or less).

If it doesn't happen again I know the sensor is bad & needs to be replaced.

Good plan? Bad plan?

Open it up and make sure that the connections are secure.

That's my plan after I see if the sensor makes a diff - FWIW the skimmate sensor has a larger tube size...........but what reef keeper doesn't have 1.8 gillion different tube sizes around? :laugh: SImple matter of finding the right sizes to make a tube within a tube.

Hi Erik,

Why don't you submit a contact form through our site so we can issue a RMA to take a look at this.  My feeling is that one of the contacts may have corroded and it is simply a matter of opening it up and testing it and possibly resoldering a wire.  If not we can just replace the sensor while we have it open.  Making the tube to tube adapters is not a very reliable long term solution.

Because near as I can tell it's way outside warranty........just trying to idenify the issue (what needs replacement).

The tubing isn't longterm, just trying to figure out if it is indeed the sensor - if it is I'll just order a replacement. Then I'll open it up & see if there's any corosion...........which is where I started - I was thinking the contacts had gotten coroded (like old school points in a distributer) = I could/should clean them.

Hope this didn't come across as negative - I highly reccomend this sensor, it's been the most reliable one I've ever owned.

Even outside warranty it is fixable. If it is just corrosion and needs cleaning and resoldering it will just cost you postage. If the sensor has failed we can replace it for much less than a new unit. Was the brs pump ac or dc? If the pump shorted and caused the failure of both units then it may have exceeded the amperage rating of the switch and done damage to it. If you are experiencing any intermittent reliability issues I would highly recommend letting us take a look at it.

Even outside warranty it is fixable. If it is just corrosion and needs cleaning and resoldering it will just cost you postage. If the sensor has failed we can replace it for much less than a new unit. Was the brs pump ac or dc? If the pump shorted and caused the failure of both units then it may have exceeded the amperage rating of the switch and done damage to it. If you are experiencing any intermittent reliability issues I would highly recommend letting us take a look at it.

Thanks for the support. My plan at the moment is to keep testing for the week or so = make certain the sensor has solved the problem. Step two would be to buy another one (just the sensor) and send the old one in for an autopsy. If it's corroded that bad I would think I'd need to relocate it. It's always good to have a backup of something, I usually end up finding an alternative use :laugh:

The BRS pump was AC, I did open it up & it was a simple low rpm/high torque AC motor - it looked faily cheap, Italian made IIRC. Thought about replacing it for a second but the shaft was pressed on & going the puller route seemed like too much trouble.