Finally installed my DIY sump!

bqq100

Finally got around to actually installing my new acrylic sump last night. Custom sized to fit my annoying stand that has a wall dividing the cabinet into two sections. It's about 13.5x9.5x14 with a 3/4 inch eurobrace with rounded corners. Seams look like #%$#&&$, especially on the baffles, but it doesn't leak! Was certainly a fun learning experience and I have enough acrylic left (extruded unfortunately) to make an ATO container and maybe a small frag tank.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It holds about 7.5 gallons, and has about 4.25 gallons while running. Previously I had a 6 gallon bowfront wedged in there partly hanging out the back of my stand. Now I just need to make a more permanent bracket to hold my float switches....

that's pretty good for a first-time job! how did handle the euro-brace?

Glued on the top and trimmed it so i had a fully enclosed box, then I drilled large holes (~1 1/2 i think) in the 4 corners.  I then flipped it upside down on the router table and went from hole to hole until the center piece fell out.  Finally ran a couple more passes to smooth things out and smoothly transition from the straight router cut to the circular holes.  I struggled with that last part, so it's certainly not the most beautiful eurobrace  :cool:

• 1 month later...

Do

Wow! Packed in tightly! Very cool![/quote

Does look pretty tight. I guess you would be able to get in and do maintenance if need be. Congrats on the build.

Do

Wow! Packed in tightly! Very cool![/quote

Does look pretty tight. I guess you would be able to get in and do maintenance if need be. Congrats on the build.

Ya it is a little bit tight for some maintenance.  I can do basic tasks like refilling GAC/GFO reactor and cleaning the skimmer cup without any issues.  For removing the pump and skimmer for thorough cleaning I just need to remove the shelf above the sump, but that's not too much of a problem.  For full blown cleaning, the plumbing comes apart and the power cords have enough slack for me to slide the whole sump out of the stand (I will probably have to drain a couple of gallons first).