Live rock and sand

Cheshireboxers

I have an 80 gal tank with live rock and sand it in awaiting the build on my 125 gal Reef tank.  I have heat, water movement, and a power head that breaks the surface of the water to help create air.  Today I noticed I have a film on top of my water which I hadn't ever seen this before.  I also have a light that I have over the tank that goes on an off.  I check the PH which listed at 9.1 and my Sal is high at 40.

So please advise me I am new to all of this so go gently.  I am trying to read and watch as much as I can as to become more efficient with my new hobby.  Have freshwater tanks all of my life and finally took the plunge to Salt Water!

I'm trying to figure out what your question is? Is it about the film ontop of the water? If so you need some kind of surface skimming...whether this is the teeth that go down to your sump from your overflow or you need to add a hang on skimmer...

fred...the film is normal. you get rid of it by surface skimming, like from an overflow. my tank has that film at times since i don't have a sump either...its just aesthetics. since you have a temporary tank, i wouldn't worry about it.

you won't be able to get rid of it w/ a typical hob filter unless you mod it to surface skim since most hob's have the inlet below the water line.

You will easily be able to lower your salinity from 40 to 30 by letting some salt water out of your tank and replacing it with clean fresh water.  Your pH seems fairly high.  Do you know what the pH of your source water is?

Maybe I'm over thinking this..

You could probably rig a PVC pipe with a cap on the bottom and cut in teeth at the top to sleeve over your intake to a hob filter and skim the top if you wanted. Maybe more of a pain than its worth but it could be done. It would be an easier mod if the intake was off to the side and not in the middle of the hob so the filter would dump back into your tank and not into the PVC pipe.