HELP!!!! I am having issues with micro bubbles ....

goodreeef

I have been battling micro bubbles for 2 weeks. They are coming from my skimmer. I have added two bubble traps ,and I am still getting them.

I am under the impression it is being caused by:

1.)too fast of flow in the sump or

2.)the tank is just new and it will take time to break in?

I am using a reef octopus 10000Y pump that I got from the previous owner. I think maybe this pump (2600gph at 0 head) is too much. I have throttled it down, but I am starting too think I should go with a pump more along the lines of 1200-1500gph?

The skimmer and tank are new.

what say you guys?

I'm willing to bet, its just too much flow, with too much being produced by the skimmer. All of that adds up to such a speed, that it does not have a chance to dissipate in time before reaching the return pump...
   Getting a smaller pump, should fix the problem... still make sure it is enough to power your skimmer nonetheless...

Do you have a smaller one, that you could put in place to test and see if that'll fix it??

Can you also take a pic, and show us what your bubble traps look like possibly?  Which will also, tell how many baffles you used for this...

And one more '?'... lo,. What size is this sump?? And filled to hold how much typically???

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

two weeks should be enough time for slime coat to build up so it's not that.. maybe the bubble traps are too thin and water flows through them too fast? I solved all my issues by putting skimmer return pipe under water, but I have a very weird setup and I don't care about the backpressure so I don't know if that would work for you..

Can you also take a pic, and show us what your bubble traps look like possibly?  Which will also, tell how many baffles you used for this...

And one more '?'... lo,. What size is this sump?? And filled to hold how much typically???

tomorrow ,I will post some pictures. but I am afraid my pictures rate not that good. The bubble traps are built by melevsreef spec. (3 dividers spaced 1.75" apart, with middle one higher than either side for water to run underneath). There are 2 of them. one after skimmer chamber, and one before return chamber.

the sump is 24" x 42", 60 or so gallon.

I do have a spare return pump, but I would need to plumb it. I am just wondering if that would help as I have cut the flow of the existing pump to less than half capacity?

the skimmer is a Korallen Zucht Revolution "m".....it calls for an aqua bee 5000 pump.