Nuvo 16 Lighting

Coral Hind

I picked up a Nuvo 16 from Quantum Reefs this week and I was wonder what members here are using for lighting over their Nuvo 16. Planning this to be mainly an LPS with a few ricordia and mushrooms, no SPS. Anyone running the stock lights and growing corals?

Almost identical dimensions as my 17gal ADA.  I have a maxspect razor with 120" optics, and love it.  You could run it lower % than me and have a completely silent, slim, low energy light.  It will match the look of the nuvo.

The LED's will make the LPS POP!

Almost identical dimensions as my 17gal ADA. I have a maxspect razor with 120" optics, and love it. You could run it lower % than me and have a completely silent, slim, low energy light. It will match the look of the nuvo.

The LED's will make the LPS POP!

I forgot about that. The razor would look great over that tank!

I am using the stocks...mostly because my priorities are elsewhere. As for the tank, I have just a few corals - blastos, acans (lords), candy cane, war coral, xenia, ricordea, and one or two others. All bought as frags. The tank is about 8 months old and I have pretty good growth on all of it. This is my "neglect tank". It was probably before Christmas since I did anything but top offs and glass cleaning and feeding. Honestly, the coral doesn't get fed too often either. I typically feed pellets and mysis with cyclopeez thrown in once in awhile. I have 2 clowns and 2 cleaner shrimp (both shrimp spawn monthly so that is probably helping).

The lights leave a bit to be desired as far as color pop, but they are fine for growth for lps and softies.

I just bought one also (without lights)   I considered the razor along with a few others, but decided to order an IT2040 from the group buy for it.  Factors included it's only 12g of water in the display, I want to eventually house softies and a mantis, I am very happy with my IT2080 over my 60g, and the price was right.   I want to use the basic four Zeovit products and  I am stuck with which protein skimmer to buy for it, there are literally NO decent options.  

Edited by londonloco

I just bought one also (without lights)   I considered the razor along with a few others, but decided to order an IT2040 from the group buy for it.  Factors included it's only 12g of water in the display, I want to eventually house softies and a mantis, I am very happy with my IT2080 over my 60g, and the price was right.   I want to use the basic four Zeovit products and  I am stuck with which protein skimmer to buy for it, there are literally NO decent options.

Can I ask why you want to go zeovit for softies? I don't run a skimmer anymore. I really didn't find it to do much as far as health. Then again, it's not been around for long so who knows what the future will hold.

I had a very soft cycle with the 60g using dry rock and zeovit products, as long as I don't overfeed, algae is not a problem.  I only have softies in my 60g so far, and everything appears very healthy.  I do plan on someday introducing spa in this tank tho.  I figure I have the products on hand, the 16g will require very little dosing.  I plan on using Gulf Live Rock with the Nuvo16, zeovit should make the cycle easy. 

Edited by londonloco

It sounds like Lutz123 has gotten good growth with the basic stuff that I plan to keep so I'm going to give the stock lights a try. I'll supplement later if needed. Thanks for the input!

I was pleasantly surprised. I wanted to see what my real needs were before upgrading, and for my office it seems to be doing fine. As a matter of fact, the other night everything in the tank seemed to go through a sudden growth spurt - 3 or 4 new heads on a few corals.

Edit: extra word. :-)

Edited by lutz123

Well the stock lights have failed already. The actinics went out in one fixture after a few hours of being on. I emailed Innovative Marine and I got a return call already. So far customer service has been good from them but mailing this light back is going slow the build process up. Thanks for everyone's input and ideas.

Maybe they can take a cc#, mail you the lights first, then credit you back after you mail the lights back to them?  I've done this before several times with different vendors. Works and down time is cut ½.......