How To Aquascape Live Rock

Piper

I heard some will use drilled holes and pegs or dowels to connect stacked live rock. I've never tried this before but want to give it a shot. I have really interesting tonga pieces that I haven't had tanked for a couple of years. I have them in a bucket right now leaching. The nature of the rock is intertwined branches with lots of crevices, really pretty, but doesn't stack well and is likely easily broken. After it's leached for a while, I'm going to test the base piece, get it trimmed up to fit, dry them out again and do whatever I need to do to make a tower of tonga. The particular pieces are stacking pretty well and I think will be relatively stable, but I don't want to leave this operation to super glue. What to use for pegs? smaller in circumference the better. 

If you are dry scaping, I recommend using Marco mortar.  It is awesome.

I will be. Thanks. Never heard of the stuff and sounds a lot easier than trying to drill holes that line up properly. 

Marco Mortar and drilling has worked for me in the past... I think of the drilling as extra insurance in case the mortar fails at some point, or if it becomes knocked and the bond between the 2 breaks...
    Although you could easily get away with just using Marco Mortar in most cases... it all depends on the rock's, shape, size, weight, and placements.   

Marco Mortar is pretty good stuff. I used it while I was scaping dry and I was very impressed. The arch on the left is 3 pieces of rock that I mortarted together, and the center piece is a tonga rock structure. The piece on the right is upright using The Force. Dries quick and very easy to work with.

DSC_0412_zps4c5eb188.jpg

I drilled my rocks. It was pretty easy to do and worked great. I had to driil 2 holes in some of my rocks in order to make them stable.

IMO a combination of drilling and mortar would be the best way to do it. You can get more creative with the mortar since some rocks are too small or delicate to drill and you can mold the mortar to make 2 rocks look like one.

70c01e224db740a98695e9e306e0956c_zpsafb0