Skimmer Question

LanksTank

I bought a Reef Dynamics INS135 for my 90 gal tank, but now I am downsizing to a 57 gal tank.  There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on over skimming, or even whether or not it exists.  Does anyone have any experience with putting an extra large skimmer in a small tank?  The INS135 is rated up to 400 gal, but is said to be ideal for tanks 110-135..

I am reluctant to sell my skimmer as I bought it used and then figured out it was broken so I replaced the pump.  I know I'm not going to get what I'd like to get for the skimmer by selling it, so I wanted to see if I could use it in my new system before I throw a couple hundred dollars down the toilet to replace it.

If you have room for it I would use it. I run a skimmer rated 1200g on a 600g. Having a big skimmer allows you to really increase the bio-load with more corals and fish. If it runs for extended periods with no production of skimmate you can put it on a controller or timer so it doesn't run constantly reducing power consumption, as well as wear and tear. I've seen members run skimmers on alternating periods where the skimmer takes an hour off every few hours.

If it runs for extended periods with no production of skimmate you can put it on a controller or timer so it doesn't run constantly reducing power consumption, as well as wear and tear. I've seen members run skimmers on alternating periods where the skimmer takes an hour off every few hours.

That is a great idea!  I'll have to hook it up to my APEX and try it out.  I'll try running it for awhile and see what happens first.

I run a skimmer rated for up to 500 gallons on a 180 gallon. I feed my incredibly small stock list heavy and frequently, which is a huge plus for me.