naked tank, needs canopy

Sharkb8

I have a 55g tank with stand but no canopy. I've been searching eBay, etc and contacted local stores. Local stores wanted over $350 for a canopy (!!!!) Anybody know where I can get one without breaking the bank?

I have a 55g tank with stand but no canopy.  I've been searching eBay, etc and contacted local stores.  Local stores wanted over $350 for a canopy (!!!!)  Anybody know where I can get one without breaking the bank?

48522[/snapback]

Yes!!! DIY. Usually it's the best way since you can custom size it to your needs. :)

Yes!!! DIY. Usually it's the best way since you can custom size it to your needs.  :)

48523[/snapback]

I wish I could, and I would if I could, but I have no wood-working tools and no garage and its cold and wet outside and . ..

what type of lights are you planning on putting over the tank?  DO you have the PC or MH?

48533[/snapback]

PC only. Two actinic (24" each) and two blue (48 inch each). And I plan to put a CPR HOB fuge on back.

that is OK. I have a 55 long, and no canopy. I also have PC lights, power compact Sea Life set that has a concave enclosure with legs at both ends so it sits on the tank rim over the glass. It helps with evaporation. The overflow is to the back of the tank, and the power heads are attached over the legs of the lamp.

by the way, I live in Herndon, VA if you are interested in taking a look at my set up. I also have a 125G with a canopy that I wish I never had.... but for now it works.

Jacob

OK, but what type of corals are you planning to stock your tank with. If you are thinking on keeping some that require high lighting you may want to consider T5 bulbs. Very low heat input and a very good alternative to metal halides with same results.

Upgrade to lighting will have to come later, much later. Corals, other than simple shrooms and polyps, will also have to come later. Right now, I'm simply trying to find a canopy for aesthetic reasons. My wife allowed me to set the tank up in the dining room and . . . . well, it looks kinda . . . you know, wires hanging all over and light leaking out the top and . . . I think maybe "junkyard" is a word to describe it but that may be too harsh. So I need a cover.

I have a full hood with 2 400 watt MH and dual 96 watt PCs for sale if you're interested. Probably overkill for a 55, but you could switch out the ballast for a 250 and upgrade tanks later. You will want to do that anyway - it's part of life as a reefer.

-Tom

• 4 weeks later...

www.bigalsonline.com has good prices for stands and such... they have great customer service, and might be able to hook you up with a nice wood canopy to fit your tank.

I have a 55g tank with stand but no canopy.  I've been searching eBay, etc and contacted local stores.  Local stores wanted over $350 for a canopy (!!!!)  Anybody know where I can get one without breaking the bank?

48522[/snapback]

If you haven't found your canopy yet, I would suggest advertising on Craig's List

"wanted: canopy for 55 gal"

Or just simply make one. It's very easy.

Have home depot cut wood to size.

All you need is a good design, drill, screw driver, screws and paint.