Media Reactor Sequence

LCDRDATA

So I am already running biopellets in a BRS reactor and recently picked up a second BRS reactor from another WAMAS member to run carbon. I would like to run them in-line, and figure if they need different flow rates I can place the higher-flow unit first and then use a T-fitting with a ball valve to dump excess flow for the second. My question is, for such a configuration, which should come first, the carbon or biopellets?  :why:Why that sequence, and what are the downsides if not followed? If one wanted to go one more step and run GFO as well, then what would the sequence be (and why)?  

As far as I know (I have ran all three in the past, but not together) flow requirements from most to least are: Biopellets -> GFO -> Carbon.  If it were me, I would definitely run the biopellets separately and output them near the skimmer input.  The bacterial mulm may clog GFO and/or carbon.  I never tried it, though, so I may be wrong.

When I used a GFO reactor, I did output that through a carbon reactor and all seemed fine.  I did not use a ball valve between the reactors, only before the GFO reactor.  The decrease in flow to the carbon was perfect, because carbon should not be tumbled very much.  It takes more flow to fluidize GFO than carbon.

Now I don't use GFO and just use a zippered-mesh bag of carbon in the sump near the filter socks it seems fine.

You build a manifold and run each independently as well.

You build a manifold and run each independently as well.

what marc said.

+1 on manifold with individual valving for precise water flow control.

+1. If you're going to valve down the flow anyway, build a manifold. You'll use the same number of parts, but achieve independence between each reactor which allows independent tuning.