Switching from BRS bulk Alkalinity and Calcium to B-Ionic

JeffG93

Hey folks –

I’m thinking of switching over to B-Ionic for daily dosing of for Alkalinity and Calcium.  I've calculated the changes using this handy calculator:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I’m fairly certain I'm prepared, but I’m starting to hedge.  I tried to switch salt mixes about 8 month ago and the results were tragic despite slowly transitioning over… 

Has anyone else done this or something similar?  Is it even worth it?  My tank is humming along pretty well – though I do have color problems with some of my acros (they’re very pale) so I’m thinking I’m missing some trace elements that the B-Ionic will provide.  Plus, it seems that a lot of folks with successful mixed and SPS heavy tanks use this product.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would mean a lot to me.  Thanks –

Jeff

From old information, Part I contains

Carbonate, sodium, bicarbonate, sulfate, borate, fluoride, iodide, molybdate, vanadate, selenate.

If you're performing regular water changes,then you're probably already taking care of trace elements. If not, then you'll be adding these, but may not need them.

It's a fine product, though. I'm just not sure that it offers any distinct benefit over what you're doing already if you're performing regular water changes.

Tagging along.  I use B-Ionic for my nano, but now that I'm setting up a bigger tank, I was thinking of switching to BRS.  Same question, reverse direction, so I would like to know the pros and cons.