The_gats 150G Reef with 40B Fuge

the_gats

Happy Belated Thanksgiving.

I am currently the process of cycling my new 150G tank and 40 breeder. The plan is to have the 150 as  a reef tank and the 40b to be a display fuge. Both of the tanks drain into a 55 gallon sump. I have ~70lbs of Dry Rock and 5 lbs of Live rock in the tank with another 100lbs of Dry rock coming on Monday.

Equipment

2 x 32" Reef breeders Photon LED (On its way)

1 x 4x 39W Fishneedit T5 (Will us over Fuge...Maybe a little overkill)

Mag 12 Return to Display

Quiet One 3000 Return to Fuge

2 x 200w Jager heaters (Hopefully single heater isn't strong enough to over heat tank by itself.)

BM NAC 3.5 (From old 40B build. Underpowered but will upgrade in time)

SPECTRAPURE® MAXCAP RO/DI SYSTEM W/ MANUAL FLUSH - 90 GPD

I am still deciding on what powerheads. I am contemplating taking chances with 2 Jabeo WP-40s.

post-2632691-0-47897100-1385828560_thumb.jpg

post-2632691-0-55287400-1385828604_thumb.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.

Good start!

Really close choices as to what's in my 150g too...

You could easily do 2 wp-25's or 40's...I have a 25 n my 150 that's 5ft long...and I fid that combo with my return pump is great...

Good start!

Really close choices as to what's in my 150g too...

You could easily do 2 wp-25's or 40's...I have a 25 n my 150 that's 5ft long...and I fid that combo with my return pump is great...

Thanks. What do you think fo the WPs. Always a little nervous going cheap, but I hear mixed reviews on them.

Looking good!

Thanks. I hate cycling. Patients is not really my thing.

I really like the else mode..only had it for a week so far..and really the Only thing I don't like is the fact I can hear it ramping up and down..it's fairly loud, but apparently the 40's are supposed to be quieter...

Edited by smallreef

I really like the else mode..only had it for a week so far..and really the Only thing I don't like is the fact I can hear it ramping up and down..it's fairly loud, but apparently the 40's are supposed to be quieter...

Cool thanks. I will probably order them in a week or two. Just ordered the LEDs today so I need the bank account to build a little.

Looking good

Very sparse...pretty!

Thanks. Just trying to be patient. I thought it was hard with one empty tank to look at, but now I have 2 empty tanks to look at. LAME. Even my wife is asking when I am getting fish.

Getting closer.

Ammon: .25

Trites: .2

Trates: 10

I finally ditched the API tests. After comparing the results I am glad I did. Accoring to the API kit, I would probably be cycling from 6 months.

What did you go with instead of API? Are you ready to put a mantis in your fuge yet?

I got the Saliferts. I have definitely thought about doing something like that. The only concern is I want some nice display macro algae and I know a mantis will rearrange/hide the macros.  I havent figured out what exactly is going to go in it. But that is definitely an option.

• 1 month later...

How do  you like the reef breeder led's?

Sorry it took me a while to reply. I really like the lights. They seem to be very well built. They are very easy to use and configuring them is a little time consuming but once done they ramp up and down nicely.

I just completed a 140 gallon water change (about 75%). Due to my ammonia being so high at the beginning my nitrates were extremely high. I decided a huge water change was the best way to drop them. So now everything is looking good. I just got 2 clowns a misbar occ and a misbar mocha occ. Hopefully everything is balanced out and more fish and corals to come. 

• 4 weeks later...

Nice! I'm more interested in what's going to happen with the side tank :)

Well the side tank isnt real pretty right now. Lots of hair algae. but that is better than in the other tank I guess. Couple of additions.

E3215900-E4F2-4271-9598-E09C557B7830.jpg

4CBBFAF8-11C6-483E-801C-0A05B88875A9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a few frags from Bruce (bbyatv), who has a great looking tank, yesterday. Grab a green slimer, green birds nest, green cap, and yellow digi. I know a lot of green. By the end of the day they were showing polyp extensions. 

So far I got 2 clowns, a bangaii cardinal, 3 blue green chromis, a 4-5in yellow tang, royal gramma, a Powder Brown tang and a diamond goby. As far as corals go, I have orange cap, green cap, blasto, torch, Birds of Paradise, and those mentioned above. I just wish I could get my Red Planet and a few of my millis i lost in my crash.

I also flooded my basement floor yesterday when my RODI line fell out of my BRUTE for a few hours. Luckily I have tile floors in the basement and there is a low spot in the middle. 

Flooding water is just the pits. How did your RO/DI come loose? What have you done to ensure that it doesn't happen again?

I love that powder brown. I might replace my Achilles dream with one of them. Lets see some pictures of the corals, Bruce has some great stuff, and an awesome tank!

Flooding water is just the pits. How did your RO/DI come loose? What have you done to ensure that it doesn't happen again?

I love that powder brown. I might replace my Achilles dream with one of them. Lets see some pictures of the corals, Bruce has some great stuff, and an awesome tank!

Well I just had the tubing hanging over the edge and when it started to fill I guess it just came up and fell out. My fix is to snap the lid on next time which is what I normally do.

I will get some pics later. The achilles is a beautiful fish but I really like the orange, yellow and blue of the Powder Brown. 

So I uploaded some pictures to my photobucket and saw this picture thought I would share it. This is my old 40 breeder prior to it crashing. 

202139a0.jpg

And here are the current pics. 

FTS First

IMG_2109.jpg

The first four are from Bruce

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

And just a few others.

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg