Sand! I need lots and lots of Sand!

Folta

Ok, so as my 180 setup is progressing, and there are no leaks, I need to start getting stuff in there. Sand seems like a good place to start.

I want a relatively decent depth sandbed. The footprint of this tank is 72" x 24". So, anyone know of a sand calculator for me to figure out how much sand I need? Also, anyone know of a good supplier of sand? I have bags of caribsea in my 55, and like the look of that.. It's white, small, but not too small. I want to go for the same consistency and color.

And its gotta be cheap!

I may have used the same Caribsea stuff or very similar in mine. I think I bought 6 bags of it from Tropical Lagoon and got something off for ordering that much. Mines about 2-3" deep and same size foot print as yours. I had a bag leftover and I add some periodically from.

There is always home depot play sand at $5 per 50lbs. It may cloud the water for a little longer but it saves a pretty penny when you spend $50 instead of $300.

I'm going to out to Nathan's tomorrow to purchase the remainder of his live rock and sand, if you'd like to purchase some of the sand I don't mind. He said he's got a 7-10" bed in his tank, so I'm realistically only going to be able to grab about 2-3" off the top. I'm basically buying all of it, but if you want to go in on the sand with me, I can try and bring it back here to my place (I don't know if it's closer for you than Dumfries, I'm in Herndon). Let me know, I'm heading out in the afternoon to his place.

Dave

Thanks for the offer Dave. Both are actually pretty far away, so I'm going to see if I can find some locally first.

As far as Home Depot Sand, isn't there something wrong with that type that I can't use it for an aquarium? When looking at a label, what do I have to make sure it has and doesn't have?

make sure it is tropical play sand. it should be bright white and you can test it by taking some in a cup adding vinegar and watching it dissolve. the silicate sand will not do this. if it dissolves then you have the right sand. HTH

Are we talking about the same sand that will be one of the most important parts of your ecosystem and also one of the hardest things to remove?

Why skimp here?

don't look at the price, look at the product.

For my substrate I use 1/2 play sand and the other half is aruba shells and marble chips the sand will not buffer the water but the shells and marble chips raise and buffer the ph.

Is the product the same though, in the sand that disolves vs. the 'brand name' sand? If its just the name of the product, then obviously I'd like to avoid paying the extra. If the products are in fact different, then there is more to think about here.

As far as buffering, I'm not too worried about that from the substrate; I'll be using a kalk reactor with this tank.