Baby snails!

Djplus1

So, I come down stairs tonight to look at the tank and I see what looks like a bunch of sand all over my rocks, corals, etc. Looked like big sand particles though, which I though was odd. Upon closer inspection, I notice that I see movement.

post-2633366-0-65825300-1384748766_thumb.jpg

I also notice the tell tale snail shell spiral. There are literally hundreds of them. I pulled one out to inspect, definitely a snail.

post-2633366-0-96272300-1384748912_thumb.jpg

My question is, what kind are they? I honestly have had every commonly bought species of snail in this tank.They are not stomatellas. They actually resemble turbo shells (just tiny and white). Anyone have a snail bloom like this? 

Keep an eye on them and see if they have any pattern or if their shells are smooth (if you have a decent microscope or better yet a digital microscope take a picture).  Turbo snails will not have a smooth shell (although at this point that will be tough to tell).  If you do detect a pattern on them, could be colonista snails which are good herbivores.  They are not pyramid snails as they have an elongated shell.

Pretty neat, would be interesting to see what they are when they get bigger. Good luck with trying to find out.

Those are collonista snails. Awesome little grazers that come out at night., bonus...they breed well in captivity. They don't get any bigger than what you see now. Populations tend to explode then wane due to the availability of food.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

Those are collonista snails. Awesome little grazers that come out at night., bonus...they breed well in captivity. They don't get any bigger than what you see now. Populations tend to explode then wane due to the availability of food.

Neat. Hopefully they don't become a problem. I will keep an eye out for a population increase/decrease over the next couple weeks.