Deltec Skimmer Revamp

NateCamReef

This is my first time posting pictures so bare with me if it doesn't work.....

I have an old Deltec Skimmer that I'd like to fix up and get running. The body is in good shape. I seem to have everything I need except for the pump assembly shown below (hopefully). I do have an Eheim pump that I plan to use. It looks to me that the only thing I need is the pvc parts to allow air into the output from the pump, and a few pvc pieces to actually connect the pump to the body of the skimmer. Am I right?

Deltec AP701

pump

The "air input" that I think you're talking about is the Venturi. You'll see that on the intake side of your pump picture with the rubber hose coming off of it. I assume that you have a needle wheel inside that pump?

It's hard to see, but you may want an elbow and a down tube on the output side of the skimmer to direct the water down gently into the sump.

If I were you, I would ditch the Eheim.  They are great pumps but the needlewheel impellers for them are insanely expensive.  The Sicce PSK1000 has close to identical specs as a skimmer pump and you can ge the whole thing for less than a needlewheel for the Eheim. 

I've got a Deltec AP701 and I'm going to replace the pump with a Sicce as soon as my Eheim dies.

If I were you, I would ditch the Eheim.  They are great pumps but the needlewheel impellers for them are insanely expensive.  The Sicce PSK1000 has close to identical specs as a skimmer pump and you can ge the whole thing for less than a needlewheel for the Eheim. 

I've got a Deltec AP701 and I'm going to replace the pump with a Sicce as soon as my Eheim dies.

True. As I recall, the Deltec impeller ran about $200. You could get a nearly identical impeller from Euro Reef back then for about $100. A PSK-1000's a good replacement choice and you can get a good price on one, complete with Venturi and needle wheel at AvastMarine.com.  Steve, do you happen to know if the outside dimensions on Avast's venturi will fit either a PVC coupler or pipe so that it can easily insert into a recirculating configuration?

They actually sell a piece that screws on to the output of the PSK100 that makes it the size of 1" pipe.  So a 1" coupling or 90 will slide right over it.

I'm wondering about the intake side, not the output, for the recirculating connection.

Good luck with that :laugh:

Edited by ErikS

I did it on a EuroReef recirc and it worked like a charm.  :cool:

Okay, I gotta ask.......how did you kill an Eheim pump?

(that's what I was referring to, not the mod.....hence the bold)