Accurately testing for Iron and dosing as required

Curtis Scott

I'm interested to see if their is an accurate test kit for Iron that I could use to test my tank. 

Has anyone had success with testing for iron accurately and dosing with a product like Brightwell Aquatics Ferrion to bring the levels back up to natural sea water levels? 

Following along.  I have read a couple Randy Holmes Farley articles about iron dosing recently and had conversations with the coral keeper at Marine Scene about Potassium dosing.  Iron for macroalgae growth and potassium for coral color.  I haven't pulled the trigger on the Red Sea Pro "Reef Colors" test kit combo from BRS because it's so expensive, but if someone has used that, I'd be curious what they thought of the tests and how easy they were to do.

I picked up "Kent Marine Super Chelated Iron" which has iron, manganese, and potassium from Aquarium One last week because my cheato was growing out very pale and weird looking. Right now I'm just following their dosing instructions of 1 cap per 50 gallons per week and seeing what happens.  I expect nothing terrible, but also possibly nothing visible, heh.  They had another one called Kent Iron and Manganese, but I think it had gluconate or something that is intended as a carbon source for planted tanks which I didn't really want to dump into the reef. 

I forgot to mention... I grow plenty of Cheato too.

After speaking with Matt at Marine Scene about my SPS color being dull, he recommended Potassium to me to improve my coral colors. Not wanting to dose something before confirming it was depleted, I purchased the Potassium test kit from Salifert and confirmed my Potassium was at 200ppm and no where near the recommended 400ppm level. I started dosing Potassium to keep levels around 400ppm and my colors have really improved. Now I'm looking to make sure my iron is in check.

I forgot to mention... I grow plenty of Cheato too.

After speaking with Matt at Marine Scene about my SPS color being dull, he recommended Potassium to me to improve my coral colors. Not wanting to dose something before confirming it was depleted, I purchased the Potassium test kit from Salifert and confirmed my Potassium was at 200ppm and no where near the recommended 400ppm level. I started dosing Potassium to keep levels around 400ppm and my colors have really improved. Now I'm looking to make sure my iron is in check.

I responded to your PM.  

Note what your tank looked like before you begun dosing K.  It will be a reference point going forward.  If you are using a salt that is low in K, like Instant Ocean, plan to supplement your tank monthly.  The good thing is K generally drops slow like Mg, monthly dosing should be adequate.  The Salifert test kit works well, DO NOT use the Red Sea version unless you enjoy poking yourself in the eyes.

The Salifert test kit works well, DO NOT use the Red Sea version unless you enjoy poking yourself in the eyes.

thanks for this.  I'll get the Salifert one.  Curtis also said that the Red Sea potassium one looked hard to use compared to salifert which he said worked well.

Do you have a recommendation for Iron?

BTW, I shared the K dosing regimen in the SECRET thread.  There are some gems in that thread.  Potassium, Iron, and Iodine works well when water quality is high.

I don't see the K dosing regimen in your secret thread.

thanks for this.  I'll get the Salifert one.  Curtis also said that the Red Sea potassium one looked hard to use compared to salifert which he said worked well.

Do you have a recommendation for Iron?

Never used a Iron test kit.  I rely on the Green Monti Cap and Raspberry Nasuata (Yellow) as indicators.  When the Monti Cap no longer has that evergreen look, dose Iron and when the Nasuata begins to show signs of Green, cut back on Iron.  Note, always watch for nuisance algae when dosing Iron.  Do not dose if system has cyano or other nuisance algae.