Zoas Spreading...

Jarosh

The other day I noticed a small single eagle eye zoa mixed in with some of my mushrooms. This was rather strange because the mother colony is across the tank from this polyp. After looking around further I found that another zoa colony that was on a half bare rock also had some very small eagle eyes starting to grow on the rock as well. This rock is ~8" away from the eagle eye zoa colony.

So what I'm getting at is I'm assuming that eagle eye colony is spreading by some other method than just dividing. I though I read an article a few months back about this happening but can't remember by what method they are reproducing. Any info or a link to an article would be appreciated.

Paul

At the rate they are growing under the MHs that may not be to far off.

Odd... I'm dilligently waiting for some of your zoas to mysteriously "divide" and end up in my tank.

Garrett.

46969[/snapback]

I have seen zoas let go of thier colony rock and float around the tank to end up in a new location - when they do settle they generall start a new colony there pretty fast in comparison to the home colony's growth rate. Not sure if there is any sexual reprodution among zoas- such as a spawning event- IF so I have not observed one.

Guest Kragon

I have noticed this behavier in my Eagle eyes, dragons, wide mouth greens and certain yellows. Blues don't seem multiply in this method strangly enough. I have no clue why and it seems to start with colonies under 100 (maybe just in my tank). Watch around that single.. you should have 4 or 5 little guys in about a week's time.

Enjoy!

Ryan