Scrap bin at Piedmont

bqq100

What size pieces are typically available in the scrap bin?  I'm looking to build a small custom sized sump (~14 L x 10 W x 14 H) and I'm trying to find a cost effective source of acrylic.  I have a 20H glass tank I was planning on cutting up and using to build the sump, but recently I've been working with acrylic and I've found it much easier to work with.  

I have some acrylic you can have if you want. Not sure on the exact measurements, but I will measure it tonight when the kid is asleep and let you know. I got it from a scrap exchange in Durham NC, and have been keeping it around in case I run into a project... I have since come to the realization that I will never use it, and it is taking up space :)

I have some acrylic you can have if you want. Not sure on the exact measurements, but I will measure it tonight when the kid is asleep and let you know. I got it from a scrap exchange in Durham NC, and have been keeping it around in case I run into a project... I have since come to the realization that I will never use it, and it is taking up space :)

That would be aswesome!  Thanks!

i have a 40B with a cracked 12" star in the back pane. that's a lot of useable glass if you want for free. i'm in silver spring, md. PM if interested. 

Thanks for the offer, but I have a couple of glass tanks already that I'll break down if I decide to use glass instead of acrylic.

OK, took me longer than I thought to get the measurements but I have:

Four pieces that are :32 14/16" long by 7  1/4" wide by 1/8" thick; and one piece that is 21" long by 7 1/4" wide by 1/8" thick. 

Looks like they may be a bit small for your sump, but they are yours if you want them. 

OK, took me longer than I thought to get the measurements but I have:

Four pieces that are :32 14/16" long by 7  1/4" wide by 1/8" thick; and one piece that is 21" long by 7 1/4" wide by 1/8" thick. 

Looks like they may be a bit small for your sump, but they are yours if you want them. 

Ya that's too small and thin for my sump.  Thanks for checking though.

Piedmont does not maintain a public scrap bin.  They recycle their scrap and do not sell it by the pound or size.  However, they will "cut to order" pieces for you.  You will pay more per square foot to get it vs a full sheet, but you are also paying for the labor of them cutting it and having a partial sheet to deal with.  

Also, for a sump that size, the .220 acrylic from Home Depot can work if you properly brace the top.  The acrylic is extruded vs being cell cast, but it will serve the purpose just fine for a small sump like that.

Piedmont does not maintain a public scrap bin.  They recycle their scrap and do not sell it by the pound or size.  However, they will "cut to order" pieces for you.  You will pay more per square foot to get it vs a full sheet, but you are also paying for the labor of them cutting it and having a partial sheet to deal with.  

Also, for a sump that size, the .220 acrylic from Home Depot can work if you properly brace the top.  The acrylic is extruded vs being cell cast, but it will serve the purpose just fine for a small sump like that.

Bummer, a post from a long time ago mentioned they had a scrap bin at the time  :sad:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/22473-wtb-acrylic-scrap-sheets-and-rods

If the price for .220 acrylic in store is the same as online ($116) I think I'll end up using the glass I have around to build the sump.  If I fail miserably with glass, then I'll revisit using acrylic.