New Livestock Requests?

johnnybv

Hey Johnny, this is not a livestock request, but since you run a garden center as well, I was wondering if you could get in Hi Rocks from Hawaii?  I think that with the space you have and your ability to purchase a lot in bulk, you could bring in a ton of Hi Rocks, run it in huge tubs (rubbermaid 350s), and introduce layers of live rock on top to create a huge amount of base rock.  Also, you could keep some dry as well to seel as dry base rock.  I'm going to be ordering some in the next year or so since I'm setting up a large tank, but I was wondering if you'd want to order some with me or even order it for me?

Dave

46020[/snapback]

That is something in the grand scheme of things in the next 6 months to a year. As far as HI rock, is that something special?

As far as HI rock, is that something special?

HiRocks is company that sells base rock. It's mined from fossilized coral reefs (it comes from dry land) in Hawaii. Advantage is that it's much cheaper than rock that comes out of the ocean. There's another company that does the same thing from Florida - Reefer Rocks, but it's a bit more expensive.

What they're talking about is taking a lot of the base rock & then seeding it with some live rock & turning it into live rock (much like a lot of us do with our tanks only on a larger scale).

IMHO it would take about 6 months to get this setup running (for the seeding to take place) - actual time would depend on the ratio of live to dead.

You would only need to purchase some seeding rock once, after that it would be self sustaining.

Guys you are more than welcome to do the auction here if you would like.  I will not be able to participate due to the xmass tree sales, but there is room.  I would also like to donate some gift certificates to the auction, so let me know what I need to do.

John

45997[/snapback]

Johnny,

That is very generous of you. I will still hold the auction at my place since it was my idea and thus I do not want to impose on anyone. But I believe that doing a meeting/workshop at BRK would be awsome. I am very soon will be in need of making a new batch of food. If we have enough people intersted, maybe we could do it at BRK since you have all the nice food goodies. We could bring our blenders and some of the stuff, like clams or whatever and buy the cyclop-eeze, oysters eggs and such from you. As for the gift certificates you are kindly offering, I could come and pick them up this Saturday, if it is OK with you.

JM

HiRocks is company that sells base rock. It's mined from fossilized coral reefs (it comes from dry land) in Hawaii. Advantage is that it's much cheaper than rock that comes out of the ocean. There's another company that does the same thing from Florida - Reefer Rocks, but it's a bit more expensive.

What they're talking about is taking a lot of the base rock & then seeding it with some live rock & turning it into live rock (much like a lot of us do with our tanks only on a larger scale).

IMHO it would take about 6 months to get this setup running (for the seeding to take place) - actual time would depend on the ratio of live to dead.

You would only need to purchase some seeding rock once, after that it would be self sustaining.

46029[/snapback]

This is allready in planning, But there are some projects that need to be completed before we set that up. We have got a million ideas in the works and on stand by. Right now we are just trying to get through the holiday season. We will keep everyone on the board up2date with new changes as they happen.

On a different note:

We just got a new shipment of carcharodon carcharias in stock. They are eating like crazy. But instead of using Garlic as a flavor enhancer we are using surfboards to entice them to eat. They also cut down on pesky seals in your aquarium. So if you are having a seal problem in your system this is the fish for you! (They are also Great at disappearing those pesky mother-inlaws during the holiday season, But you didn't hear that from me)

On a more serious side ....

Hope everyone has a happy holiday season!

Byron

Guest mikesroth
This is allready in planning, But there are some projects that need to be completed before we set that up. We have got a million ideas in the works and on stand by. Right now we are just trying to get through the holiday season. We will keep everyone on the board up2date with new changes as they happen.

On a different note:

We just got a new shipment of carcharodon carcharias in stock. They are eating like crazy. But instead of using Garlic as a flavor enhancer we are using surfboards to entice them to eat. They also cut down on pesky seals in your aquarium. So if you are having a seal problem in your system this is the fish for you! (They are also Great at disappearing those pesky mother-inlaws during the holiday season, But you didn't hear that from me)

On a more serious side ....

Hope everyone has a happy holiday season!

Byron

46039[/snapback]

I was thinking of getting one to help "Encourage" my 12 yr old to start doing his chores with out us yelling at him. "Ryan, if you don't do your chores you have to feed Spike!!!!" :whip:

I was thinking of getting one to help "Encourage" my 12 yr old to start doing his chores with out us yelling at him.  "Ryan, if you don't do your chores you have to feed Spike!!!!"  :whip:

46044[/snapback]

you didnt get spike from me.......I know nothing...

Guest mikesroth
you didnt get spike from me.......I know nothing...

46048[/snapback]

LOL... Actually we plan on coming by on Saturday....

Guest goblinshark

Hey Johnny,

I was wondering if you could get a gumdrop or Coral Croucher Goby (Caracanthus maculatus) for me?