MP10es Question

Curtis Scott

I'm in the market for one and wondering if I should consider purchasing a used one or go with a new one. 

Is purchasing a used one hit or miss with reliability?

Or are these things pretty reliable and purchasing a used one would be a good way to save a few bucks?

I currently run a MP40es on the right side. The MP10es will be going on the left side of my 75g tank (mostly SPS).

for the price, i would go with another MP40.  I think the MP10 might be a little to small for the 75 footprint.  Those are better for the 3' tanks, not the 4'.

I might be selling one of mine soon.  I guess my view could be seen as biased since I might have one for sale soon, but I'd say they're a safe product to buy used.  The reason being is that the "wet side" is very simple, and can be replaced for like $50.  This is the only part that goes in the tank, so the rest isn't getting beat on so bad.

for the price, i would go with another MP40.  I think the MP10 might be a little to small for the 75 footprint.  Those are better for the 3' tanks, not the 4'.

I agree with this, I have an MP40 on my 3', and I could probably stand to have another one on the other side. I would look for a used one, both of mine are used, and work fine. 

Looks like I'll be in the market for a slightly used MP40es while I save for a new one. Just encase I can't find a good used one.

thanks guys

You could always try the jb's

+1 Honestly, the reason I'm considering ditching my two MP10's in my display is because I think I'd rather have the Jebao's.  We may or may not actually have an extra WP40 left over from the group buy too  :cool:  There's only two real reasons I could see why someone that has seen the performance of the Jebao's would rather have an MP40.  

1. If you run MH lighting and have temperature issues as the motor is on the wet side.

2. If you really care about having "the best stuff", as in you care more about the brand name than the functionality of the equipment.  

Ok, I lied, one more.....

3. If you have a smaller sized tank, and need to keep your powerhead(s) as small as possible.  But in that case, you'd be buying a WP25 which is much smaller.  

I posted a video the other day that showed the wave action I was getting in my 30g frag tank with a little WP25 on 50%.  

I have a first generation MP10 (blue box) that I bought from another wamas member awhile back, and it still runs great. It has to be 2-3 years old now? I believe Ecotech makes a quality product that lasts a long time. Their customer service is fantastic as well.

With a lot of people going the Jebao route I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of used MP10s, and 40s start to come down. There are plenty for sale on R2R and RC that are decently priced. I have seen wireless MP40s going for $300. You might be able to get lower than that.