Raising pH with TLF CDX

bqq100

Anyone else try CDX from TLF to raise their pH?  I have pretty low pH, sometimes hitting as low as 7.8 at night.  I was ordering some other stuff from BRS, and I decided to give CDX a shot.  For $12 i figured I didn't have anything to lose. 

Well I rigged it up to my skimmer yesterday and it definitely seems to help a little.  My pH last night was ~.1 higher than the previous night without changing anything else.  Note, the yellow line is when my wife decided to open the windows, so any pH increase after that is probably from the open windows more than anything else.  We'll see if it continues to help once we close the windows again, and how long the 750mL of it lasts.  With the way I have it rigged up right now, it's only using a few spoonfuls for my 30 gallon tank.

post-2633677-0-00341100-1379124097_thumb.png

post-2633677-0-50682300-1379124207_thumb.jpg

I think "OldReefer" uses it, maybe he'll chime in or you can shot him a PM. Keep us posted on how it works for you. Is the tank near an outside wall so you can run the skimmer intake outside? That helps to bring in some fresh air into the tank.

Is your pH probe calibrated? What is your alkalinity?          

I use it....my pH is low in summer. Definitely works for me. I'll probably stop using it until next June due to the weather getting cooler.

I think "OldReefer" uses it, maybe he'll chime in or you can shot him a PM. Keep us posted on how it works for you. Is the tank near an outside wall so you can run the skimmer intake outside? That helps to bring in some fresh air into the tank.

Is your pH probe calibrated? What is your alkalinity?          

Alk is ~9 based on the stupid API test kit.  I can't wait till I finish it and get a hanna checker.  pH probe hasn't been calibrated in a while, probably should do that.  I know that it's about right, and it's a CO2 issue because when the windows are open the pH goes up and stays around 8.2.  Tank is darn near dead center of the house so running a line to the outside isn't really an option.  I'm not too worried about chasing the perfect pH number, but i figured $12 bucks was worth seeing how well it works.

I use it....my pH is low in summer. Definitely works for me. I'll probably stop using it until next June due to the weather getting cooler.

Nice to hear that it does work in the long term too.  Have you ever compared it to soda lime?  Any ideas why it's only low in the summer?  

Ditto - been using it since BRS offered the stuff. Works well but gets expensive in the long run. You can purchase the stuff online from chemical supply houses (it's simply soda lime).........I never bothered as I only use it during the summer as the house is more closed up in summer than

winter.

I use a single RO/DI canister with a hacked filter cartridge inside - simply cut most of the bottom out & replaced it with mesh = good air flow.

FWIW - trick to buying soda lime is finding someplace that sells it in under pallet units  :laugh:

Edited by ErikS