Schuran Jetstream 1 CA reactor

rtsusc83

Just bought a used one from a WAMAS member today and curious if any other member owns one.  I may need a replacement CO2 regulator and may opt for a ph monitor.  I also read that a peristaltic pump is needed for the effluent.  This will be my first CA reactor so I will take the time and read (not that I have not) but can never be enough before I start so for now, I need to plan on what other equipment I need.  So, recommendations on equipment would be appreciated.  If you are a Schuran Jetstream 1 owner, I hope you dont mind if I seek advice.  Thank in advance.

I used one from roughly 2004-2007.  You don't need a peristaltic pump, just a reasonably steady little water pump.  I fed mine from a return pump tee.  I found that keeping the effluent line's end at the same horizontal level as the bell at the top of the reactor (i.e., so there is no uphill or downhill run on the effluent) kept the flowthrough rate consistent.

I believe that is a 1/2" CPVC (not regular PVC) female npt adaptor.  It is a tapered slip fitting on the end going into the ball valve (teflon wrapped and just press-fit in place), and female threaded (fnpt I believe) for the pH probe fitting.  You should be able to get it from the standard CPVC fitting bins in your local Home Depot/Lowes; that's where I got mine.

I used one from roughly 2004-2007.  You don't need a peristaltic pump, just a reasonably steady little water pump.  I fed mine from a return pump tee.  I found that keeping the effluent line's end at the same horizontal level as the bell at the top of the reactor (i.e., so there is no uphill or downhill run on the effluent) kept the flowthrough rate consistent.

Thanks.  For the effluent line, doesnt it eventually have to go down to the sump?  Not clear on this so maybe a pic would help.  Again, thanks!

Thanks.  For the effluent line, doesnt it eventually have to go down to the sump?  Not clear on this so maybe a pic would help.  Again, thanks!

Never mind.  Should have look at the pic you sent.  Looks like you have a collection arrangement that is level to the bell which then drains to a PVC pipe to the sump.  That correcct. I too am looking into using pH probe to control the solenoid?  It looks like a standard pH probe.  Can I then use the Apex?  I am learning all I can before I venture into the world of CA reactor.  So again, appreciate the help and thanks!! 

Some of the local fish stores that sell corals normally carry the media. You can also find it at our online sponser, Bulk Reef Supply.

Thank you!  Would you be able to PM me the local stores that carry them?