Skimmer affects?

Djplus1

So this is probably an odd question, since I run three tanks, and you would think, by now I would already know this, but what benefits or downfalls am I getting from a larger skimmer? Will I have lower nitrates? Clearer water? Change in PH? Less or more essential elements? Or am I just gonna get more dark green crap in my collection cup?

Scientific based answers preferred, but anecdotal experiences are certainly welcome. 

I am effectively doubling the size of skimmer capability as my last skimmer was rated for 10-75 gallons and the new one is rated for 75-180 gallons. This is on a 72 gallon mixed reef with a hippo tang, yellow coris wrasse, pygmy angel, pink skunk clown, BW Ocellaris clown, orange ocellaris clown and four blue/green chromis.

I'm no scientist or biologist, but I did drink a V8 and I have stayed at a Holiday in Express so I will attempt to answer your questions based on my free continental breakfast IQ. 

A larger skimmer usually means more water moving through the skimmer.  Ideally this should be about the same as the flow rate through your sump.  Over rating your skimmer could mean more noise (all the air and water mixing makes noise).  The large pump might increase your tank's temp, but that could be offset from all the air being injected into the skimmer.  If the water line in the skimmer is significantly above your sump's water line and the skimmer is a beast in comparison to your sump, then it could cause your sump to over flow when the power goes out.  I have never experienced any of these downsides I just mentioned.  It's just me brainstorming; which is quite a Gail after the V8. 

To answer your questions though, a larger skimmer will reduce the amount of hydrophobic toxins in the water.  so more green / brown / black stuff.   As with the reduction in nutrients, that will help clear up the water.  You may see a reduction in nitrates, but that depends on the source of the nitrates.  If it's old food particles in the water or fish poop, then yes.  If it's a dead fish hiding in your sand bed, then no.  As for ph and essential elements, I don't think it will have any effect on your pH or essential elements. 

For a given flow rate through the skimmer, the larger body equates to a longer average contact time with the air bubbles. It's at the air-water interface where it's believed that certain types of dissolved organics (those with a hydrophobic and a hydrophillic end) will collect and be exported on the rising and drying column of foam. Larger skimmers also often come with larger pumps which can draw in or produce more of the fine bubbles needed for efficient skimming. In the end, it really boils down to the average contact time and how long it takes for all of the water in your tank to flow through your skimmer body once.

Justin from Avast addressed it in this post. In it, he said,

"I use Escobal's formula for skimmer contact time. The rule is roughly .75x/hr of water throughput, where x=total system volume. So our 200 gallon rating for the CS1 assumes about 150gph through the skimmer. Ideally you would have a 2 minute dwell time in the skimmer body for optimium contact of bubbles with organics-laden water. 150gph = 2.5gpm, or roughly a 5 gallon skimmer body volume. The CS1 isn't quite that big, as realistic space constraints do factor in. Also, more efficient pumps capable of producing more and finer bubbles help offset the chamber size. In short, adding even an "undersized" CS1 on a 300 gallon system will help a whole lot compared to no skimmer, since budget is a factor. You could increase throughput to 225gph on the CS1 without a problem."

As noted, bigger skimmers take more space, often use more power (because the pumps are bigger), are more expensive, and can be noisier if you're not careful about managing the flow or doing something to silence the air intake.

Correction, the original skimmer was rated for 75-100 gallons.

Be  mindful that skimmer "ratings" are not standardized. Manufacturers make all sorts of meaningless claims in this area that make comparing ratings impossible.

Be  mindful that skimmer "ratings" are not standardized. Manufacturers make all sorts of meaningless claims in this area that make comparing ratings impossible.

Oh, I know. There is no truth in advertising. I should know as that's what I did for the last few years. I already see the darkest "poop" I have ever seen so far in the EV180 collection compared to the smaller Eshopps.