150W 20K VS 10K w/ Actinics?

cbashaw

I have a 20H tank with a 150w 20K MH light on it and it's time to replace the bulb.

I'm trying to decide if I should stay with my current setup (20K) or if I should switch to a 10K bulb and add a 36W pc actinic.

Thanks,

Chris

I have a 20H tank with a 150w 20K MH light on it and it's time to replace the bulb.

I'm trying to decide if I should stay with my current setup (20K) or if I should switch to a 10K bulb and add a 36W pc actinic.

Thanks,

Chris

44998[/snapback]

I went from a 2x 250w 20K XM MH to a 2x250w 10K XM MH with 220w VHO actinic on my 120. I really like the difference. The 20k was too blue. The 10k w/actinic appears much more "white" than the very blue color that you get from the 20k. Then again you could try for a compromise and go with the 14K bulb, and try that out. But, if that isn't an option, I would say go for the 10k w/actinic.

Chris,

Is it a 150w or 175w?

I'm the opposite, I like the slight blue coloring that a 20k offers. It's all just personal choice. They all do a fine job.

Question, do you want a brighter tank? Your answer is your choice, plain and simple! They all work!

What do you have or plan on putting in your tank?

Publish a picture?

Howard

The tank is mostly LPS and SPS.

I plan on adding a Hammer coral soon. I'm mainly interested in making my brain corals and the anchor glow a little more than they do now they just don't stand out as much as I would like.

Full-tank.jpg

That picaso will bite into about anything he wants to in there as he gets bigger- bet you can not keep a hermit crab.

45061[/snapback]

I'm planning on getting rid of the trigger very soon. I bought him when the tank was a fowlr. I haven't decided what to replace hom with yet though.